Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you make an 8l90 play nice with l9h?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacb View Post
    Hi tunerpro

This is all new to me so please be patient...... If I understand you correctly you are saying that if one was to get an E99 it could drive an S53 and a T87a at the same time?

The S53 would take care of the MPFI requirement and the E99 would run the T87a which in turn would run the 8L90E transmission.

Colud the HPTuner software handle such a setup .... is the S53 supported and what functions does it have?
    Yes, that's how it works in the ZR1, but the E99 is locked down and nobody has cracked it yet (or if they have it has yet to be announced).

Quote Originally Posted by tunerpro View Post
    Yes, that's how it works in the ZR1, but the E99 is locked down and nobody has cracked it yet (or if they have it has yet to be announced).
    this is all very interesting to me.

I like to think the e99 ECM/pcm..(whatever gm calls it) will be cracked, but I doubt it. Just not enough of them out there to warrant it.

that said, eventually there is going to be a combo thats mass produced with the 8 speed and that one will be.
    ultimately the encrpytion might not help. You still have to put out a known signal, so now the chart will just say X2b45aY95t for a 60ms injector pulse, instead of 1500 (for clock cycles.) Someone that really understands these things will crack it eventually.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorsports-X View Post
    I like to think the e99 ECM/pcm..(whatever gm calls it) will be cracked, but I doubt it. Just not enough of them out there to warrant it.
    Hi Motorsports-X I don?t know physically how many E99’s have been made, but there is a HUGE interest in cracking it if this is the only way we are going to be able to retro fit 8L**E transmissions (using GM controllers) to older cars. There is also interest from the ZR1 owners.

E99 > S53 > MPFI
    E99 > T87a > 8L**E
    Last edited by Jacb; 10-12-2018 at 01:40 PM.

Tuner in Training

Question Best point of contact for HPTuners?

What is the best point of contact for HPTuners in relation to asking when the E99 might be added to the list of supported devices/vehicles?

I attempted to Private Message Mark@HPTuners, but like most of the HPTuners staff he won?t accept PM?s.

What email address etc will get to the appropriate tech guy?

Probably never going to happen. better off buying a standalone and letting MM or motec figure out how to make the mapping work.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorsports-X View Post
    Probably never going to happen. better off buying a standalone and letting MM or motec figure out how to make the mapping work.
    I looked at another site https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-tunable.html and noted that a guy calling himself Ben@WeaponX says that he has sent an E99 (with a VIN) to HPTuners (2-28-2018) and they stated that the "official" status was "under development" ... no ETA!

Does seem that the encryption used in the E99 will make it a tough nut to crack!

Any Progress HPTuners?
    Last edited by Jacb; 10-12-2018 at 11:38 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Ben@Weapon X Said:

"The LT5 E99 PCM is insane with the VIN specific encryption. It is rumoured that "someone is in"; however, unless they had help from the backdoor at GM, I will believe it when I see it. GM released this technology on the 2017 trucks and they have yet to be cracked. Now HP Tuners did just get into the 2018 Dodges and they provide a cable, so we shall see what they come up with. I think we just need to start a GoFund me page and toss it up on the black web for the first person to crack it gets the kitty; however, the coding is also VIN specific, so unless there is a key to follow per VIN, each car would be specific.

“GM’s Phase-1 overall process involves multi-factor authentication involving dealer employees and credentials and a Diffie-Hellman 2048-bit key exchange using a SHA-256 hash digest that is unique for each VIN ECM and TCM,” he said. “The main concept to keep in mind is that is not a STATIC security implementation […] Diffie-Hellman 2048/SHA-256, if implemented correctly, is un-crackable, even by the NSA.” Turbowizard illustrated his point further: “Current estimates to crack Diffie-Hellman 1024 is 35,000,000 core years, [such that] it would take 35 million CPU cores 1 year to crack a single key exchange, and the key exchange is unique for each VIN. Diffie-Hellman 2048? Forget about it, not going to happen.”Turbowizard capped off his argument, saying, “I’ve had several trucks tuned over the years, and I hate the emissions crap on these new trucks as much as anyone, but I’m afraid we are nearing the end of an era. Both ominous and saddening, turbowizard’s post garnered loads of attention. Fellow users were quick to label turbowizard a troll, or proclaim that the solution was already there in the form of aftermarket ECMs.“None of the factory instrument cluster, HVAC, audio, BCM, power windows, etc…..NONE of it will work because it has security dependencies on the factory ECM,” said turbowizard. “Every module that communicates with the ECM/TCM uses 2048-bit Diffie-Hellman key exchange with a SHA-256 has…..and aftermarket ECM’s will not have any of that…..useless for a daily or street-driven truck.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jacb View Post
    Ben@Weapon X Said:

"The LT5 E99 PCM is insane with the VIN specific encryption. It is rumoured that "someone is in"; however, unless they had help from the backdoor at GM, I will believe it when I see it. GM released this technology on the 2017 trucks and they have yet to be cracked. Now HP Tuners did just get into the 2018 Dodges and they provide a cable, so we shall see what they come up with. I think we just need to start a GoFund me page and toss it up on the black web for the first person to crack it gets the kitty; however, the coding is also VIN specific, so unless there is a key to follow per VIN, each car would be specific.

“GM’s Phase-1 overall process involves multi-factor authentication involving dealer employees and credentials and a Diffie-Hellman 2048-bit key exchange using a SHA-256 hash digest that is unique for each VIN ECM and TCM,” he said. “The main concept to keep in mind is that is not a STATIC security implementation […] Diffie-Hellman 2048/SHA-256, if implemented correctly, is un-crackable, even by the NSA.” Turbowizard illustrated his point further: “Current estimates to crack Diffie-Hellman 1024 is 35,000,000 core years, [such that] it would take 35 million CPU cores 1 year to crack a single key exchange, and the key exchange is unique for each VIN. Diffie-Hellman 2048? Forget about it, not going to happen.”Turbowizard capped off his argument, saying, “I’ve had several trucks tuned over the years, and I hate the emissions crap on these new trucks as much as anyone, but I’m afraid we are nearing the end of an era. Both ominous and saddening, turbowizard’s post garnered loads of attention. Fellow users were quick to label turbowizard a troll, or proclaim that the solution was already there in the form of aftermarket ECMs.“None of the factory instrument cluster, HVAC, audio, BCM, power windows, etc…..NONE of it will work because it has security dependencies on the factory ECM,” said turbowizard. “Every module that communicates with the ECM/TCM uses 2048-bit Diffie-Hellman key exchange with a SHA-256 has…..and aftermarket ECM’s will not have any of that…..useless for a daily or street-driven truck.”
    Im not to worried about it. there will always be gear heads, and there will always be someone to give them a product to buy. GM wants to lock every module and component down... fine... well just make standalones for all of them... eventually people will just stop buying GM for taking their fun out of the equation. Demand = MONEY. and there is plenty of demand for performance.