Thread: MPVI 2, JTEC (1998 Dodge Ram), Baud Rate - Timed Out

Tuner

MPVI 2, JTEC (1998 Dodge Ram), Baud Rate - Timed Out

So I have an MPVI 2 that I have for many years and have been using with no issues.

I used it last year (2022) to revise the timing on my 1998 Dodge Ram 5.9 Magnum with a JTEC ECU.

This weekend I put a new (rebuilt) motor in my 1998 Dodge Ram. It originally had a 5.9L/360 cu in Magnum, the new short block has a stroker crank so now it is a 6.7L/410 cu in.

I replaced the 19 lb/hr injectors and with 30 lb/hr injectors based on estimated HP and rpm of the new motor.

Because of the bigger injectors, I need to adjust the fueling so it will start easier and I have to lean out the mixture as it is running very rich (as was to be expected with larger injectors and no revision to fueling pulse widths) and is confirmed by the LT and ST fuel trims in my datalogs.

I can datalog with no issues. When I revise my tune and try to write it the following occurs in this sequence:

I click the upload icon

I click on "Write to vehicle" in the primary window

A Small window pops up and says: "If you have an aftermarket stereo, remove the power to the stereo as it may interfere with the upload. Click Ok when you are ready to continue"
    I remove power to the radio (pull the fuse), I click on "OK"

A small window pops up and says: "Turn off ignition"
    I turn off ignition and click ok

A small window pops up and says: "Turn on ignition"
    I turn on ignition and click ok

Within fractions of a second the message within the original window says: "Write Failed"
    Secondary message within the original window says: "Baud Rate- Timed Out"

What happened between 2022 and 2023 that all of a sudden I can't write to my truck using the same MVPI 2 and same version of VCM Suite or what am I doing wrong?

I've been reading about issues with MPVI 3's and JTEC ECUs, why now all of a sudden is my MVPI 2 not allowing me to write my tune?

Any help or insight is appreciated.

Tuner
    An update for those interested.

The voltage of my battery got too low because the fusible link after the alternator blew causing the battery to discharge and the result was Baud Rate: Timed Out.

When I replaced the fusible link and charged the battery all worked as it should.
    Last edited by rich s; 12-28-2023 at 09:13 PM. Reason: corrected reason for error

That's good to hear. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I leave my trickle charger on when I do anything with the MPVI2 hooked up.