Thread: Applying Changes to VVE Table

Advanced Tuner

Applying Changes to VVE Table

I have made some graphs to monitor my WB and EQ Error. The 2013 Malibu 2.0 LTG Turbo has a VVE table with MAP/BARO ratio and RPM. Now that it appears I have them set up correctly, how do I apply the changes to the VVE Table Editor? Right click Paste Special Multiply by % - Half? I am unsure what the cell value actually is in the VVE Table Editor? Just unsure if I am utilizing the right data (number,percent, Lambda) from the charts. I have logged data and collected what appears to be a sufficient amount of hits. I have viewed numerous links, but none of them cover the VVE Table Editor configured like my vehicle supplies (MAP/BARO RATIO and RPM). The screen snapshots shown are taken from some of my logs. I have extensive logs with much more data collected. This is a stock tune and nothing has been modified. If accurate, there are some fairly lean numbers in some of the cells. I am running 93 octane. I have not noted any Knock Retard values. I have an excessive number of parameters in my table, but I wanted to make sure to log everything so I can chart any parameter I may need. Better to have more than less. That way I can always modify my graphs and charts and re-play the log(s) to analyze the result without having to create another log. At least until I modify the tune and then of course log and analyze further. I am using MPVI2 and AEM OBD2 setup. The Lambda and Error tables appear to add up/balance out when comparing the values in a specific cell, so it looks accurate. Any input would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DGS; 10-07-2018 at 09:00 AM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    %-half

the vve editor is just number that are placeholders where percent change can be applied like a regular ve table.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    Great , thanks for the information. Just needed to clarify I was making the same changes even thought the VVE tables use different parameters than the VE tables.

i just looked at your upload pictures. make sure you are using your wideband and have the ecu set to run constantly in open loop with no fuel trims active. if the trims are active it ruins the wideband readings. sometimes you wont have trims active but the trim percent reads a constant value. in this case you can reset trims manually in the scanner I/O control section.

you dont want any trim interference.

Advanced Tuner
    The values in the VVE editor are "GMVE". A quick search will explain what the number represents.
    JTC Performance - Authorized HP Tuners Reseller
    Remote performance tuning

Quote Originally Posted by charcoal03silvy View Post
    The values in the VVE editor are "GMVE". A quick search will explain what the number represents.
    Thanks for the tip!

when i teach people i tell them to think of them as place holders because the math can get nasty pretty quick; especially in a coefficient based ecu.
    if you want to know GMVE dimensions are (m * T / P)

people get caught up on the size of the ve values and unless you have the correct input data for a few sections then its not typically going to be correct. even though its not correct that doesnt mean it cannot be worked with and made into a fantastic tune; it just gets skewed based on the error in each dimension which can produce a high number. what is really important here is knowing that you adjust the ve airflow table by percent of error using the wideband or fuel trims. in every case the wideband is the most accurate method because of its accuracy range.

i dont want to make you think that you shouldn't look into the math because it is interesting. i just feel you need to understand the tuning correlations first so you don't immediately ruin your project because the error tuning is the method you will use to fix airflow modeling issues.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for the great information. I know this information will help a lot of people when tuning the newer generation vehicles.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, i have my coolant temp set at max uner fuel trim, o2 readiness at 0mv, and my parameter states open loop. The ltft and stft are 0.0. So from my wideband error, i can determine % rich or lean and change vve table that %? There doesnt appear to be a direct method as when using %-1/2 resulted in rich changes for the worse , not leaner.

Percent half just makes a reduced change to the values to prevent overshooting.

Advanced Tuner
    So my changes made the tune leaner vs. richer. This does not make sense to me. Since my tune was already too lean. After the %-1/2 , my wb o2 showed higher/leaner. I need to go the other way. Must I subtract from 100 % , then apply less than 100 % of value to richen in VVE Table ?

Advanced Tuner
    if you had a positive values in the scanner and you did a multiply by percent - half, it should have richened it up. run another log and apply the changes. I personally never do the percent by half unless I'm within 1-2%
    JTC Performance - Authorized HP Tuners Reseller
    Remote performance tuning

positive error values in the scanner are stating the motor needs more fuel. negative values state that it needs less fuel. which is what charcoal said^

Advanced Tuner
    Ok. I will do again, but I have tried several times and get same result. Either my data is wrong from my tables or the software is corrupt?

you have no tune or logs so we cant help

Advanced Tuner
    I will upload tonight. Thank you.

Advanced Tuner

Tune and Log Files

Here you go. Any help would be appreciated.100918 drive home open loop.hplOpen Loop Tune 10-09-2018.hpt

it looks pretty close. the key is to ignore all the cells related to deceleration.
    everything else that was around normal driving and wot seemed to track very well so i think your on the right path.
    for the majority of the graph you are within 5% which is pretty good. dont feel bad about those results. you can clean them up a little bit more and from there you will be good.

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you for the quick feedback. For me 1+1=2, no less or no more, so expecting perfection is not possible. So now that fuel is close can I expect the factory tables to control fuel as I increase turbo boost?

Yes but there will eventually be some error as the range changes to uncharted zones.