Thread: Issues with video files larger than 4GB

Potential Tuner

Issues with video files larger than 4GB

I'm dealing with a very frustrating video format compatibility issue between Racelogic's Video VBox HD2 system and Racerender 3.

While Apple Quicktime and Corel VideoStudio have no problem with the video files generated by the HD2, Racerender displays them as solid black images and they can't be used as input files directly. I was able to use these files in RR3 only by first re-rending them, with no changes at all, exact same output format and parameters, using Corel VideoStudio. This is an extremely tedious and time consuming task, given the quantity of video I get from a single event. I just got back from the SCCA event at Thompson Speedway in CT, where I double sipped in both SM and SM2, and ran a total of 5 races. I've got 3 or 4 MP4 files per session, and re-rendering each of them ends up taking *days*, just to get them all done. Then, and only then, can I use them in RR3 to produce the final video. I reported this as a bug a few weeks ago, but never got any feedback, so I'm posting here as well.

Now, I've discovered yet another issue, when I attempted to save some time by having Corel VideoStudio combine the 3 or 4 files into a single, large output file, so I can re-render each individual session/race once. The resulting files are about 5-6GB in size, but when loaded into RR3, it can only display the first 4GB of the file, and then the frame either freezes or goes black (if you let it play, it freezes, if you search past that point, it's black).

I'm back to spending *days* re-rendering each individual file, and then letting RR3 concatenate them, which works fine. Note that I have not had an issue loading a very large 360 video file into RR3, and the Garmin Virb360 I have cuts new files every 18GB. RR3 has no problem with the 18GB input files.

This occurs using the latest and greatest software and firmware for everything:

RR 3.6.6 on MacOS 10.11.6 on a 2016 MacBookPro
    Corel VideoStudio Ultimate 2018 running on Windows 10

I would be more than happy to provide copies of the input files causing the problem to anyone interesting in debugging this.

I use RR 3 and Video Studio. It would be interesting to see the properties of the video file pre and post rendering. Are you familiar with MediaInfo which is free software to display a video's properties? Perhaps you can post screenshots of the MediaInfo results. I assume when you import the video into VS, you accept the pop up box to change the project settings to match the video's properties. I also assume that prior to rendering you tick the "same as project settings" tick box.

It would be handy if you post a 5 to 10 second sample clip or a link where the video file is stored in Drop box or One drive to allow me and others the ability to test the file on our systems.