Thread: HELLCAT with 4.5 whipple wont go into PE (stays at 1.0 lambda) and bypass wont shut

Potential Tuner

HELLCAT with 4.5 whipple wont go into PE (stays at 1.0 lambda) and bypass wont shut

2016 challenger 4.5 whipple 4.75" pulley, car was previously tuned correctly making mid 700 at the wheel. the only thing done was a direct swap of the stock blower for the whipple. once on the dyno it would not go into PE fueling. just stays at lambda or 14.6afr even though the TB is logging fully open. also the bypass wont go above 3.5v it is staying open limiting boost to 10psi~ makes no sense... after a while it threw U1424 and P012b code.. but even with no codes it still wont go into PE fueling and close the bypass

i also tried a completely stock tune with only the injector data, still wouldnt go into PE or full boost... am i missing something simple or is there an actual problem with whipple and wiring. all sensors seem to be reading correctly....

Seems you're not the only one. maybe reach out to someone here.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-4lbs-of-boost
    2018 Trackhawk PCM/TCM tune by Dusterhoff.
    Flex Fuel, MMX faux 95mm TB, GripTec 2.85, 10% ATI lower, FIC1200, ARH 1 7/8 w/cats, 180 T-stat

13 Chrysler 300S, RAM BGE 412 stroker, cam motion 232/246 619/619 118 +4, ATI 18% OD pulley
    Whipple Gen5 3.0, 2.50 upper pulley, Smooth Boost controller, FIC 1200 inj. Nick W 108mm TB, FORE dual return fuel system, E85, FTI 2800 stall(SRT83380), SHR WAR Viking trans and valve body, Getrag 3.73, 1 7/8 kooks w/hi-flow cats, 3" Magnaflow Cat-back 943rwhp

Advanced Tuner
    A lot of people have had issues tuning the 4.5 whipple on the hellcats. It's very different from tuning any other mopar

I thought I might post this, relevant or not. I was working with a new VW GTI, installed a big turbo kit, and the waste gate being electronic needs adjusted to allow it to open and close properly, otherwise it stays open and wont boost, throwing engine codes. If the hellcat/Whipple bypass is electronic controlled it may need adjusted, or reset properly as I had to do with the GTI. Just a suggestion, I may be wrong or incorrect as I have not dealt with a supercharger like this yet.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AVMPerformance View Post
    I thought I might post this, relevant or not. I was working with a new VW GTI, installed a big turbo kit, and the waste gate being electronic needs adjusted to allow it to open and close properly, otherwise it stays open and wont boost, throwing engine codes. If the hellcat/Whipple bypass is electronic controlled it may need adjusted, or reset properly as I had to do with the GTI. Just a suggestion, I may be wrong or incorrect as I have not dealt with a supercharger like this yet.
    The bypass in the hellcat calibration is part of the torque and airflow calculations and limits. If the ECU monitoring sees too much airflow or too much torque at a given airflow, it throws codes and keeps the bypass open as a way to limit the vehicle. Until recently (last year) we were missing a number of throttle body tables that hindered our ability to tell the ECU STOP having a panic attack

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    The bypass in the hellcat calibration is part of the torque and airflow calculations and limits. If the ECU monitoring sees too much airflow or too much torque at a given airflow, it throws codes and keeps the bypass open as a way to limit the vehicle. Until recently (last year) we were missing a number of throttle body tables that hindered our ability to tell the ECU STOP having a panic attack
    What are all the tables we need to modify to get the bypass to act normal in higher than stock boost cars?
    Factory Stock 97 SS M6 13.51 @ 104.3 mph
    Stock Longblock LS1 w/ 233/238 P.S.I. Cam
    10.81 @ 126.9 Full interior, six speed on 275 radials, a decade ago

'99 TA trunk mounted 76mm 6 Liter
    9.0s in '09 @ 153 MPH

Turbo 5.3 Volvo 740 Wagon
    32psi and still winding out 5th on the highway somewhere