Thread: Tuning a 2009 GMC with a turbo 5.3

Tuning a 2009 GMC with a turbo 5.3

I just finished installing a turbo on my 2009 GMC 1500 and for the past few day have been looking at my options for tuning the boost side. While I have tuned a few N/A vehicles with really good results this will be my second attempt at a boosted application, the first being my 89 Camaro with the original '7730 PCM running code 59. Like several other have discovered, these trucks do not have enhancements for 2 or 3 bar.

I toyed with the idea of writing the file from 2012 GMC I tuned a while back because it does have the 2 bar enhancement and both are E38 PCMs but was worried I would brick the PCM. Is it possible to do this? This question was asked but never answered in the same thread as a couple other options I read about.
    This is the thread

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...extend+VVE+bar

These are the other options but I'm unsure of how either works.
    The first came from a post by 5FDP stating to extend the VVE table. I see that by right clicking on the table I have the option to edit but I'm unsure what data needs to be entered. I know(or think I know) that "X" voltage = "X" KPA but simply do not know how to set this up.

The other option was from Montecarlodrag with "You can tune for boost using the MAF, plenty of room even with 1 Bar MAP on those ECUs". My question here is what happens in the boost area since the 1 bar is out of range?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Advanced Tuner
    you still want the 2 or 3 bar MAP, even if running 100% MAF, if nothing else than for data logging. Then you can roll in a blended sd/maf cal if you want, or even just to have sd as a backup for maf failure. Subscribing to this thread as I have a tune from Whipple and it is 100% maf and they changed nothing in the vve, which I want to change. Their kit did include a GM 3 bar map by the way.

You have to run hptuners custom os at least 2 bar and change to the corelating map sensor. you can limp to the tuing shop with base tune but will need more than a 1 bar map regardless.

You can use a 1 bar map and tune it MAF

ben is correct but tune in your vve below boost as best you can then able your maf calculations to an rpm below where you can hit any boost pressure

Times like this I do like using a 3 bar map and blend VVE... honestly you can blend it all the way to redline unlike GM does till 4K Rpms..
    With a 1 bar map you can blend it too just have to do it before the map sensor stops reading

If a centri setup can usually get to around 3k... if a PD blower maybe 2k, turbo just depends on how quick it spools

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Times like this I do like using a 3 bar map and blend VVE... honestly you can blend it all the way to redline unlike GM does till 4K Rpms..
    With a 1 bar map you can blend it too just have to do it before the map sensor stops reading

If a centri setup can usually get to around 3k... if a PD blower maybe 2k, turbo just depends on how quick it spools
    very true to be safe i would set it 500 to 400 rpm before it can make boost in last gear. Even if you make 107 kpa it will go to crap so to speak, I hate when people start their pe at 115 kpa cause they boost their car you must to be safe minimal pe at 85 kpa on any car. Anything after 100 kpa is boost period. Above atmospheric. Even in NA cars you set it to a max of 85 kpa. The higher the compression the lower the kpa PE. So i cant understand why people cant figure out why they blow stuff up. Hp tuners is a wonderful program but soo many people blow motors up without having any basic knowledge.

Thanks for the help guys. Sorry for not getting back on sooner,
    I ended up in Florida for a month after the Hurricane hit so I haven't really had a chance to play with it anymore. I hope to get back on it next week.

I'm not sure I follow about blending but I'll be doing a lot of research on here before I get too carried away.

I do plan to use a 2 bar map sensor instead of just the 1 bar. I think I have figured out what to edit to make it work.
    Last edited by Dewayne Smith; 11-16-2018 at 05:38 PM.