Thread: Copperhead ECUs....Aside from Strategies, are they the same?

Copperhead ECUs....Aside from Strategies, are they the same?

I'm under the impression that all the '11-'14 Copperhead ECUs have the same circuitry, the only difference is the firmware strategy.

If this is true, does that mean I can change the strategy of a MT82 ECU to that of a 6R80 unit using a VCM II and use it for a transmission swap without having to buy a different ECU?
    2013 Mustang GT - Twin Turbo
    2016 Mustang GT
    2011 Suburban Z71 - Tow Machine

Tuner in Training
    No the manual ecu does not have the boards that the autos do. The vcm will allow you to flash a manual ecu with an auto strategy but it won?t do anything with the auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleek98 View Post
    No the manual ecu does not have the boards that the autos do. The vcm will allow you to flash a manual ecu with an auto strategy but it won?t do anything with the auto.
    Thanks! Well that sucks. I was hoping to find a way to make it cheaper for folks to do the swap.

Anyway, back to the drawing board.

Tuner in Training
    I picked up a wyn3 ecu from car-part.com for 125.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleek98 View Post
    I picked up a wyn3 ecu from car-part.com for 125.
    Cool, I'll look at their prices and include them in the guide over on SVTP
    2013 Mustang GT - Twin Turbo
    2016 Mustang GT
    2011 Suburban Z71 - Tow Machine

Tuner in Training
    I'm wondering if the pcms are the same otherwise (I.e. auto 6.2 is same as auto 5.0 for f150). Would be cool to do a 5.0 swap in a raptor since there is almost no afternarket support for 6.2. May also save 125lbs or so from aluminum block and smaller everything.

Assume will just need a 5.0 engine harness and some brackets to retain hydraulic power steering.