Thread: Negative knock retard

Advanced Tuner

Negative knock retard

Is negative knock retard adding or removing timing on a 2014 6.4 charger?

Commanding ~ 18* and see -3 KR and about 13* of ignition timing trying to figure out what table controls WOT timing as it seems its a mixture of the PT, WOT, WOT thermal and the base table by the thermal section.

Advanced Tuner
    No one knows ? Iol.. a simply yea negative KR is removing timing/ adding timing is sufficient

Senior Tuner
    Yes. It's pulling timing. You won't see adding as knock retard on those cars. Never paid a lot of attention but not sure they blend from part to WOT. I think it just goes WOT timing after WOT pedal threshold bur could he wrong because I haven't looked in much detail. Thermal is when in Cot Enrichment

Advanced Tuner
    But, does a negative in front of the Kr value indicate pulling or adding timing?

Pulling!!!!

Advanced Tuner
    Knock Retard will NEVER add timing...

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you UAR. That's all i needed.

Negative knock retard ADDS timing on fords, so dont make blanket statements. I wanted to know if negative KR on a dodge meant added timing like on a ford platform.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cesar View Post
    Thank you UAR. That's all i needed.

Negative knock retard ADDS timing on fords, so dont make blanket statements. I wanted to know if negative KR on a dodge meant added timing like on a ford platform.
    My apologies, I assumed we were specifically talking Dodge stuff here, considering the subject is a Dodge Charger and the fact the question was asked in a Dodge tuning specific section of the forums.

That being said, it's interesting and good to know about the way Ford is doing things. I'll keep it in mind if I ever venture that way.

Carry on, and good luck tuning!

Advanced Tuner
    no problem, and it is my first dodge so I was not sure if dodge used the same signs as chevy or dodge to determine pulling or adding timing.

so for anyone coming to this in the future;

GM= positive KR, pulling timing
    Ford= positive KR pulling timing, negative KR adding timing
    Dodge= negative KR pulling timing

Senior Tuner
    It is a brain exercise tuning all three. Lol. Individual Cylinder spark control on Ford + is adding and - subtracting even. Lol

Advanced Tuner
    maybe for ford and chevy a positive kr means that there was positively a knock and for dodge is just saying how much it pulled because there was a preignition knock? in the fuel<power enrichment<knock adder, can we add to that and get rid of the knock retard? i loose torque when it retards!!! going crazy trying to get rid of kr. what other way to increase torque without increasing spark?
    By the prickle of my thumb something wicked this way comes!2008 Chrysler 300c! 2013 heads/220/230 comp cam/LTheaders/FTI 2600 stall converter.

Advanced Tuner
    Knock is knock. It will destroy your engine if it isn't false knock.

If you are sure it's false knock, just raise all your knock sensor volts up until it doesn't pull out timing. Fair warning, if it is real knock this will destroy your engine in short order.

Advanced Tuner
    yes thats what im scared of! how would i tell if its false knock? at first i thought it might be limited by the tune somewhere but checking i dont see anything that was limiting the spark to pull. i checked kr and saw 4* retard. the knock sensors are at factory settings. how would i find if its false or not? and how do i gain more torque without raising spark? im at 28* and still only seeing 200 max, and it dosent feel like 200lbs pulling.
    By the prickle of my thumb something wicked this way comes!2008 Chrysler 300c! 2013 heads/220/230 comp cam/LTheaders/FTI 2600 stall converter.

Advanced Tuner
    If you reduce the timing and the knock goes away, that's a sure sign that the knock was real. You can also often HEAR knock to verify that it is real. The last thing you can try is using a fuel with a much higher octane rating and see if the knock goes away. That is also a sign that the knock was real.

You gain torque by having the engine tuned properly. It's more than can be covered in a single forum post. Read up on MBT and how to find it.
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

Advanced Tuner
    im looking it up now, thanks for the help!

Advanced Tuner
    ok this is where i am now. i have wot disabled so power enrichment only works if you have wot enabled? i changed the tables for enrichment and now change. i looked under knock enrichment and it was 0 out and i added to just the tables that were showing kr and nothing, actualy i get no readings for those cells, they are empty, no degrees of spark. today i had some time to look at the tune. i noticed the the IAT<hot spark table was identical to all my kr! my questionis,what dangers is there removing these negative spark to 0 or to a desired degree?