Thread: Negative knock retard

Advanced Tuner

Negative knock retard

Is negative knock retard adding or removing timing on a 2014 6.4 charger?

Commanding ~ 18* and see -3 KR and about 13* of ignition timing trying to figure out what table controls WOT timing as it seems its a mixture of the PT, WOT, WOT thermal and the base table by the thermal section.

Advanced Tuner
    No one knows ? Iol.. a simply yea negative KR is removing timing/ adding timing is sufficient

Advanced Tuner
    Yes. It's pulling timing. You won't see adding as knock retard on those cars. Never paid a lot of attention but not sure they blend from part to WOT. I think it just goes WOT timing after WOT pedal threshold bur could he wrong because I haven't looked in much detail. Thermal is when in Cot Enrichment

Advanced Tuner
    But, does a negative in front of the Kr value indicate pulling or adding timing?

Pulling!!!!

Advanced Tuner
    Knock Retard will NEVER add timing...

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you UAR. That's all i needed.

Negative knock retard ADDS timing on fords, so dont make blanket statements. I wanted to know if negative KR on a dodge meant added timing like on a ford platform.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cesar View Post
    Thank you UAR. That's all i needed.

Negative knock retard ADDS timing on fords, so dont make blanket statements. I wanted to know if negative KR on a dodge meant added timing like on a ford platform.
    My apologies, I assumed we were specifically talking Dodge stuff here, considering the subject is a Dodge Charger and the fact the question was asked in a Dodge tuning specific section of the forums.

That being said, it's interesting and good to know about the way Ford is doing things. I'll keep it in mind if I ever venture that way.

Carry on, and good luck tuning!

Advanced Tuner
    no problem, and it is my first dodge so I was not sure if dodge used the same signs as chevy or dodge to determine pulling or adding timing.

so for anyone coming to this in the future;

GM= positive KR, pulling timing
    Ford= positive KR pulling timing, negative KR adding timing
    Dodge= negative KR pulling timing

Advanced Tuner
    It is a brain exercise tuning all three. Lol. Individual Cylinder spark control on Ford + is adding and - subtracting even. Lol