Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change track mode overrides on 2018 Grand Sport?

Tuner in Training

Change track mode overrides on 2018 Grand Sport?

Hello,
    Noob here, so apologies in advance for any silly questions I may ask.

I have a 2018 corvette grand story that I track regularly. I've found and confirmed that the "Track" drivers mode overrides my preferred default steering weight settings that I choose in the user settings screen of my car. This is apparently normal behavior, but is there a way to override this song with my MPVI2/VCM editor? To be specific, I want the "sport" or "touring" steering weight that I choose to stay in play when I switch to Track mode. I find the Track steering weight to be artificially heavy.

Thanks in advance,
    Ash

Senior Tuner
    I like Sport steering too... You can go threw the menu and find Drive Mode or something like that and change Steering to Sport. I think it's set to Auto from factory. You don't need to change tune to do it.

The big thing I think would be cool is to be able to use PTM in Sport suspension but I am guessing it's tuned for the feedback from suspension in Track and wouldn't be right.

Tuner in Training
    No, actually thats the interesting problem. Yes, the steering mode is selectable and can be set to one mode rather than automatic... BUT in Track mode there is an invisible override that pushes the steering back to Track. You can’t see it happen anywhere on a screen but you do feel the steering load up - give it a try and you’ll feel it too.

That’s what I’m trying to change. I’m trying to change what the override setting is, as I suspect the override itself is probably harder to “over-override”...

any mods? dsc controller?

Tuner in Training
    Not at the moment. I have a V3 DSC but have removed it as the unit is defective and was disabling PTM access. This is all on the GM controller for now.

I know the DSC I had on my 17 would not let me override the Steering settings.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    I know the DSC I had on my 17 would not let me override the Steering settings.
    Yeah this isn't a DSC related thing. It's just how track mode works.

Quote Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
    Yeah this isn't a DSC related thing. It's just how track mode works.
    my 2017 Z06 does not do what you're describing with the stock suspension controller installed.

Tuner in Training
    Not trying to be difficult, but how are you determining that? To be clear, you won't get a message that it's happening. You'll just get a stiffer steering wheel assuming you have the steering set to anything below track. If you set it to tour, it's an obvious change.

Others have confirmed this behavior in their cars... Again, without a DSC.

Thanks

Senior Tuner
    Have you tried setting the steering settings? I know it defaults to change with drive mode but you should be able to override it to use whatever steering and exhaust mode you want no matter what suspension mode.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    Have you tried setting the steering settings? I know it defaults to change with drive mode but you should be able to override it to use whatever steering and exhaust mode you want no matter what suspension mode.
    Yes, again, track mode overrides the manual steering setting if you've set it. It does this in the background. I want to disable this override.

Quote Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
    Not trying to be difficult, but how are you determining that? To be clear, you won't get a message that it's happening. You'll just get a stiffer steering wheel assuming you have the steering set to anything below track. If you set it to tour, it's an obvious change.

Others have confirmed this behavior in their cars... Again, without a DSC.

Thanks
    it does not get stiffer on mine, I have it set to Tour all the time. with the DSC, it acted as you describe.

Tuner in Training
    Interesting... Let me try again and see what happens for sure. Gm controller is installed right now. Will report back.

Tuner in Training
    Confirmed. The steering weight still gets overridden in track mode with the gm suspension controller.

Bottom line, I still have the same question - does anyone know which table controls this function?

I am just guessing here....the body control module probably tells the instrument panel control module, steering control module, powertrain control module, transmission control module, suspension control module, brake control module, ++++ that you have chosen the track setting. The individual "calibration" that GM happens to have in the suspension or steering module likely accounts for the difference you are experience from Higgs over-ride settings. HPTuners has not opened the other modules yet (FPCM is pretty recent). Some other companies have accessed BCMs up through GEN4 but I have only heard rumors about GEN5 BCM control.

ACDelco used to be pretty user-friendly about requesting different updates/settings (auto door locks up through 2007, daytime running light defaults, etc) that were also available on your rig...but not so much anymore. They like to put what they want in your car via onstar while you sleep now... You can read the different power steering module and suspension control module calibration part numbers on https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/ and see if there is a different one that GM MIGHT make available. Good luck!

Tuner in Training
    Appreciate the reply, IARLLC. But darn, not what I was hoping to hear!

Would TISweb have access to more modules given it’s OEM? Forgive my noob question if it’s dumb, please...

Yes. TIS is ACDelco's (GM's) method of distributing their updates for all programmable modules. They seem to have restructured a while back though and they are not as helpful anymore....not to mention the people there don't even seem to have a clue about their work. I still think it might be possible to get the same calibration as Higgs to get rid of the over-ride. You just need to look up your VIN on that system and compare to other VINs, maybe to Higgs'

Well I Dont know if you have ever driven a track car but ive driven a newer vette in track mode and find it very normal as the newer cars to simulate as if there is no power assist in track mode. With 7 degrees of caster the wheel will try to pull straight much harder in comparison to a vehicle like say a camry that only has 2.5 of caster. Thats 3 times the effort plus the weight of the wheels and width or tires all come into play. I found that compared to an autocross cars. The newer vettes have entirely too easy steering in street mode. This is my opinion. Theres another reason track mode is that stiff. They actually expect some customers to take their cars to a track day and if the steering is that easy at higher speeds its entirely too easy to over compensate and when the back comes out it feels numb. yes ive played with a few newer vettes and to be honest imo they've become to street car like.

Tuner in Training
    I’m an intermediate-advanced driver and this is my fourth track platform. The reason I like the lighter steering is so I can steer “with fingertips” as the saying goes, which allows me to feel traction loss events and react to them faster without over-correcting. It’s a driving style preference.

Thanks

Hey if thats what works for you im not knocking it. I like the higher feedback. Thats just me. I truly do agree you should be able to set it however you please.