Thread: Odd question about nitrous tuning

Potential Tuner

Odd question about nitrous tuning

Ok so I have an odd idea. I wanted to post it on here to see if I could get some feedback as to if it would work or not. I love tinkering with Raspberry Pi computers and am an amateur programmer. I have an LS1 swapped 84 Corvette that I want to put nitrous on. I want a way to retard a few degrees of timing when the nitrous is on. I'm thinking about making a nitrous controller to run a multi stage system.

My idea is to use a Raspberry Pi with a relay card to add a resistor in series with the air temp sensor to pull timing. In theory this would trick the PCM into thinking the air temp is higher and would pull timing. I need to take a potentiometer in series with the air temp sensor and see what happens on the scanner when I add resistance. Then I would know what size resistor to add to the circuit with the Pi. But before I cut up my harness I figured I would ask here and see what you guys had to say about it. I'm not sure how fast the PCM will adjust timing when I add a resistor. If it takes a few seconds I could have it pull timing when the system is armed and then it would be good to go when I put my foot down.

Advanced Tuner
    Been done before. No need for a raspberry pi, it's not like much computing power is needed to flick a a switch!

Potential Tuner
    I wanted the Pi for more than just that. I'm going to try and use it as an RPM window switch and to see throttle position. Being that I can program with SSH through Bluetooth I can make changes to it wirelessly with my phone. So I could have 3 stages of nitrous if I wanted and it be controlled by the PI based on RPM. Also I can set it as a Bluetooth proximity alarm. This would make it so only the MAC address from my phone would allow the nitrous to be armed. Not that anyone else drives my car but I thought it would be a cool touch.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    i have a pi dash that controls my megasquirt for my dragster and thats about it. if i didnt have a megasquirt controlling nitrous then i would just run a standard window switch that is nitrous specific.
    http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/electro...t-feature.html
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by phobos84 View Post
    I wanted the Pi for more than just that. I'm going to try and use it as an RPM window switch and to see throttle position. Being that I can program with SSH through Bluetooth I can make changes to it wirelessly with my phone. So I could have 3 stages of nitrous if I wanted and it be controlled by the PI based on RPM. Also I can set it as a Bluetooth proximity alarm. This would make it so only the MAC address from my phone would allow the nitrous to be armed. Not that anyone else drives my car but I thought it would be a cool touch.
    If you decide not to do this and go the easy route, I have an msd rpm activated switch I'd sell for $57 shipped. just sayin. lol just pm if you want it.
    2004 5.7 gto
    7875 turbo
    Heads/cam