Thread: Jumping ship

Potential Tuner

Jumping ship

Hello; I didn't know where to post this, but I currently have owned the "competitors" system for 5 years, and the support is really abysmal. I have been looking at HPTuners for a few weeks now, and I have a question or 3, lol. Aside from the obvious differences, Looks, feel.... is there anything that I should be aware of? does this system have any "auto tune" capabilities? such as EFILive's CALC.VET? or I'm guessing that there are tutorials to get me through these issues as well. I do a lot of one off stuff, I and need the capability of "building and adjusting" the ECM program. the latest is an 8.1 DBC, with 4L80E 4X4, GM never built such a critter, so I had to build the tune from several other stock tunes. I am getting good AFR's but 9mpg? lol that may be all I get but I would like to try to attempt to tune it. I am an electronics tech, trained to "component" level, but I am not a software dude.

I currently am trying to get funds together for major back surgery, so it may be after the first of the year before I actually get to purchase HPtuners, So I'll be lurking around and asking questions until then.

I am particularity interested in being able to data log with out the Laptop, this is a very needed capability, IMO.

Not sure if this helps (I'm a rookie) but hp tuners has a nice tune repository where you could pull tunes for various vehicles and you could do segment swaps for various one off projects. I'm looking at this for putting a turbo on a small NA car.

Potential Tuner
    Cool, segment swaps is how i built what I'm currently running.

I also just found out about real time tuning. I think it will be really helpful to have VE tables that you can tweak from the passenger seat and then copy paste over.

Advanced Tuner
    For clarification RTT (real time tuning) is a gen 3 only option. So in reality compared to the amount of pcm''s supported by HPtuners. Real time tuning only covers a small percentage of pcms. With that said the function is usually top notch and makes knocking out a VE table during a street tune effortless. Same with running airflow and PE talbe adjustments. Nearly Effortless I was drawn to hp tuners after hearing about their customer support. Which has been phenomenal for me.
    97 ext cab short bed silverado 5.7 411 swap, edelbrock 29135 intake, lightly ported 906 heads milled .035 thou. factory press in rocker studs & rockers, comp 787 retainers & stock locks, ls6 springs. Comp cams 08-503-8 T56 swap

86 SWB crate vortec 5.7/th350 The wife's truck

Thanks for the clarification, I saw it on sloppy mechanics youtube channel and I was wondering why it seemed like no one talks about it (from a newbies perspective). I have a gen 3 (chevy spark e78) and I haven't confirmed if it has RTT or not. Fingers crossed, thabks again

Potential Tuner
    Well i think that i have been insulted for the last time, (over at the sweeds place) I'm just kind of worried about relearning what little that I do know. But you all seem to be my kind of people, not so d#$m arrogant. I'll be putting my V2 up for sale soon.