Thread: 2003 6.0 scanner

Potential Tuner

2003 6.0 scanner

I am diagnosing a 2003 f350 6.0 for a hot no start. Ii am Using 4.0 scanner and just basic pid show like rpm and coolant tem. No other pids like ipr dc or icp reading show up. tried using a layout posted on here but same thing. Hopefully some can steer me in the right direction . Thanks

Check your channels. You must first have the selected channels for the PIDs you are seeking.

Potential Tuner
    I've added all channels available. It's only a handful available under ecm TCM and ficm

Tuner in Training
    I had the same issue. I'm collecting data to open a support ticket for it.

Potential Tuner
    I scanned a 05 6.0 at work today and just hit start and everything came up. One thing I did notice when scanning the 02 with the hot no start is on the top where the VIN goes it read yyyyyyyyyy. I was reading that it might there might be a curupt section in the PCM. Is there a way to manually select VIN for scanning?

Tuner in Training
    I am having the same issue. With the vin reading all ?y?s and limited PIDs.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawler View Post
    I am having the same issue. With the vin reading all ?y?s and limited PIDs.
    Anybody have any info?

It would be appreciated. I?ve had this happen on two more trucks.

Potential Tuner
    Hi all, not sure if this is the right thread to join in on?
    I have an LS2 in a Mini Mod ( pulling tractor) that I am having trouble logging all PIDS. It will log all channels using the laptop but not when I use the MVPI pro at the track. I have done the "write configuration" process but still having trouble logging what I need. An example was at the last event it wouldn't even log basics like RPM, coolant temp etc but when I got home and used the laptop it logged them all?
    Happy to be redirected to a more appropriate thread if required.

Thanks in advance.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawler View Post
    Anybody have any info?

It would be appreciated. I?ve had this happen on two more trucks.
    Same here two trucks now 2003 & 2006 all yyyyyyyyyy in the VIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwilliams View Post
    Same here two trucks now 2003 & 2006 all yyyyyyyyyy in the VIN.
    03 Excursion, "yyyyyyyyyy" hardly any parameters available to scan..
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Tuner in Training
    The all "yyyyyyyyyyyyy" issue can be resolved if HPtuners prompts you to enter a VIN during the read process, however I encountered a 2004 today that didn't display anything in the VIN and didn't prompt me to enter a VIN number. I used IDS to flash the entire truck to the latest version PCM TCU & FICM, but still no VIN number even in IDS which usually will prompt to enter VIN during the write. I don't have much information on this truck other than it may have been tuned prior by an STC tuner which may have corrupted the VIN data to the point where even IDS can't see or alter it. Tune file attached.

ecu and ficm no vin.hpt
    Last edited by Jwilliams; 01-14-2019 at 07:10 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Any more info on this issue? I have a stock 2003 F350 6.0 (P code in the 8th place in the VIN) that I am trying to scan and it also returns the Ascii 255 code (y with two dots above it) and shows up in the offline profiles as :yyyyyyyyyyy,VXAP1N6.HEX, TQAT0NA.HEX, ARZ2AH10. Watching the scanner, it does appear to detect that it is a FORD ECM and something that it does recognize, but fails to properly identify it, do the PID return and the name. If this is something that can be fixed by entering the VIN, is there a way to force the scanner to prompt for it? This is the early FORD ECM, so maybe just not in a lookup table in the software? Hopefully someone can enlighten me if this option exists or if there is some way to resolve this. I have searched the forum for possible solutions and there only seems to be a few entries in regards to this issue and none with a resolve, unless I missed something.

Thanks in advance.

(Using MPVI with the latest release from the website)

Potential Tuner
    Did anyone figure out how to fix this issue? I am having the same problem with an 08 f350 powerstroke. Extremely limited on the pids and never prompts me for a vin. Need to read more trans parameters to diagnose a shift flare issue. using mpvi2 with latest sofware.

Tuner in Training
    I know it's been two years but it's never to late to share information.

I use both SCT and HP tuner on my truck. SCT locks down the ECM. I can't read or scan with HP tuners with an SCT file loaded. I get the same behavior mentioned above.

C

Quote Originally Posted by CompIgn View Post
    Did anyone figure out how to fix this issue? I am having the same problem with an 08 f350 powerstroke. Extremely limited on the pids and never prompts me for a vin. Need to read more trans parameters to diagnose a shift flare issue. using mpvi2 with latest sofware.

Potential Tuner
    figured I'd add my experience with this. I was trying to add a tune to my 03 6.0L with an sct device but it would keep giving me an error when it would try to write the file (both canned and custom tunes) i ended up contacting sct and after a several hour phone call they were able to write the vin into my ecm somehow. if i remember correctly (this was 2 years ago) they had me copy my stock file to the device then plug the device into a computer and allow them to remotely edit the stock file and somehow wrote the VIN to it. i believe they wrote the vin to the ecm because it never used to show up on my other scan tools (launch and bosch) when i would try to auto id the truck but now the vin shows up on all my scan tools when i press auto id. even if i flash the truck back to stock the VIN is still there.