Thread: 2006 GTO problem

Tuner in Training

2006 GTO problem

I have a 2006 GTO that was running a few months ago. Car sat and when started it ran for a few seconds then turned off. Threw code P0601. I checked the wiring and all looks good. My next step is to replace the ECU so I tried to scan the tune on the current ECU. I received a checksum validation error and it could not save. I am currently downloading the most recent version of the suite and will try again. Could the ECU being bad cause this issue?

Tuner in Training
    newest software did not fix the issue

Tuner in Training
    I also submitted a ticket to hptuners with the file attached.

charge your battery completely then disconnect it for 30 seconds do a full write and see if it clears the code. This can offten happen with low battery. During cranking you may have hit a low enough voltage and the ecu may not have been able to read correctly and faulted the ecu memory. Disconnecting power essential clears the KAM or keep alive memory. do your full write make sure your battery is charged and try again. if not theres a chance you may have a bad ecu. Low battery voltage does some hairy things. If you jump started it and accidentally crossed the cables odds are you fried your own ecu

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jpierro79 View Post
    charge your battery completely then disconnect it for 30 seconds do a full write and see if it clears the code. This can offten happen with low battery. During cranking you may have hit a low enough voltage and the ecu may not have been able to read correctly and faulted the ecu memory. Disconnecting power essential clears the KAM or keep alive memory. do your full write make sure your battery is charged and try again. if not theres a chance you may have a bad ecu. Low battery voltage does some hairy things. If you jump started it and accidentally crossed the cables odds are you fried your own ecu
    I disconnected the battery last night and put it on a charger. Im still getting the same error in HPTuners about validating the checksum but they have emailed me saying it will be included in the next update, whenever that will be. So I cannot read or write to the ECU. It throws the P0601 as soon as the key is turned to the on position. I am leaning towards the ECU being faulty but not much I can do without pulling the tune off the current ECU and being able to apply it to the new ECU. I am also reading that the keys and the modules need to be sync'd after replacing the ECU. I only have one key so I am not sure if that will be an issue.

Tuner in Training
    tried to start the car and it actually cranked and started, I gave it a little throttle and it stayed running up until I let off then it shut down and the screen said reduced performance

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottMH View Post
    tried to start the car and it actually cranked and started, I gave it a little throttle and it stayed running up until I let off then it shut down and the screen said reduced performance
    Any DTCs?

Yes any other codes at all?? even if they are pending codes get it running with vcm scanner connected let it stall and crank get it run but dont cyle the key all the way back leave in ignition on so you wont clear pendings and see if end up with pending dtc's
    pending codes will disappear on key cycles

Tuner in Training
    No additional codes pending or otherwise. Just the P0601

if youve disconnected the battery and code comes back you can try doing an ecu full write but If the code persists i had to say this you might have a bad ecu. Which stinks cause we all know means costing more credits to reflash your ecu. Check your ecu connections at harness and then do full hptuners rewrite and then see if there is someone who can program your ecu. I have had ecu memory check failures due to low battery. I had a ford explorer once that erased the key recognition cause i changed the darn battery. It might just be simpler to replace Ecu as writing it vs replacing might cost you more than its worth by writing it 2 times. Say it costs 250 for ecu but 350 to write it. Imagine paying it 2 times. Please though check wiring harness first. I am not physically there to see it this is the best i can do from here.

Tuner in Training
    The guys at HPTuners were able to format my file to something that could be worked with. I did a full write and everything seems to be fine now. Hopefully it was just fluke. I did check all the wiring and connections at the ECU. I appreciate everyone's help. Hopefully it stays fixed.

im so glad its fixed congrats and hope it stays that way