Thread: Need help fried my ecm

Potential Tuner

Need help fried my ecm

pretty sure I fried my ecm I was in the middle of writing the ecm with the new tune and my computer locked up and kicked me from the editor now I cant get it to connect on the scanner read the old tune or let me write the new one it keeps telling me that it failed and cant unlock the ecm and ive tried disconnecting battery looks like im gonna have to buy a new one so if I get one after I install it will I have to take it to the dealership to be flashed or can I disable vats and just write my tune on it
    Last edited by Greasymechanic; 10-17-2018 at 04:03 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Contact support. Believe they helped a few people with issues like this.

Potential Tuner
    I'll start off by saying I'm a very, VERY inexperienced tuner. So, I recommend doing a lot of research and not just going by what I say. I've never been in this scenario, but from what I understand, if you do end up having to buy a new PCM you should be able to read the stock tune of the new PCM, disable VATS, and then copy and paste all of your data from your old PCM's tune to your new PCM's tune. I am not sure if it will let you flash your old PCM's tune directly to the new PCM, it might since you already have a licence for the old PCM. Either way, I am nearly 100% sure you will have to spend another 2 credits to license the new PCM. Also, you will need to make sure you get the right PCM for your vehicle, that you will have to research on your own, but if you want to be sure, finding one used from an identical vehicle made in the same year, with the same engine and trans should work. But, this is kind of the worst case scenario, hopefully you will manage to save your current PCM and get everything solved.

Good luck, and hope you get everything fixed!

Potential Tuner
    im sure ill have to license the new pcm but I may just upgrade to a 02 pcm

Advanced Tuner
    If you change pcms no matter what year your gonna have to license it

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    hpt tuners now has a default error write mode which is supposed to default the ecu into a factor write-able configuration. even if the vcm suite software refuses to communicate the dealer stuff should be able to flash a stock os file based on vin back into the ecu and get it going again.

when you flash make sure your not opening and doors or have any subsystems turned on (radio, lights, ac, heaters). dont open any doors or press any door or wheel switches. anything that can cause a communication on the can bus can cause a write to mess up. i prefer to maintain voltage and flash with doors closed and windows down so if anyone needs to talk to me i can tell them not to touch the car because it may cause issues.

any ecm that does not have your registered vin will require 2 credits to access. vats disable and os / segment swaps do not use credits.
    be careful with segment swaps and vin changes as they have specific rules that must be followed to prevent access and writing lockouts from occurring.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman