Thread: Long Tube Headers

Potential Tuner

Long Tube Headers

I have a 2016 Camaro SS w/p1x Procharger m6 (canned procharger tune), aem wideband

I just installed Long Tube Headers and could use some pointers on where to start in adjusting the tune to accommodate the headers.

I haven't tried WOT yet as any load caused a pop from the exhaust which could be detonating.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Is there possibly something not put together correctly? The log is showing fuel extremely lean. Exhaust sucking air in, vacuum leak pulling unmetered air into the engine, throttle body not sealed well, air cleaner tubing after the MAF, etc......
    You need to redo/tweak the VE and MAF settings.

your bank 2 sensor 1 isnt moving suggesting massive vacuum leak on that side . IF not disconnect your battery remove anything from your obd port and reflash in case you have a wideband. Ive seen this many times with a stuck o2 happening after a flash. Remove battery terminal flash back to stock. Remove again then attach flash file again. Remove again and reattach and check your trims. MPVI2 has some glitches. You cant restart a car computer like home computer. You have to disconnect battery.

When you do flash it, make sure doors are closed, ignition on (hold start until ign comes on all the way), write program, turn ign off, open drivers door (radio will now shut off), close the door, hold ign again until power comes up, foot on brake, start the car. This is what I have to do with my 2018 or it's hit or miss on the tune loading correctly. I've even been running my scanner to clear the other codes triggered by the tune load which hptuners scanner won't clear or even see....... Car drives night and day with clearing ALL the codes prior to driving.

Par for the course in my opinion....

I've had one of the o2 sensors not show up before. If it does that, you have to repoll pid list, and then it will come up. Same thing with the AEM wideband monitored through the obd2 sometimes.

when i do a flash nothing not even radio is on. not ac no bluetooth if customer is there i make them turn bluetooth off. Key on plug in mpvi connect usb openn only vcm editor with correct file flash file make sure no screen diming or battery saver options are on laptop. finish close program pull key out open door andclose door key back on check for codes before starting. Sometimes regardless you still even with snap on 5000 dollar modus you cant clear codes you have to disconnect battery. Flash again or sometimes it doesnt need reflash No need for windows up or down. Just dont touch them during flash or before your turn key off. Dont even rest your hand on steering wheel as even leaning on it key on will move the degree position and yes it can corrupt flash. Aem wideband ive had to restart vcm scanner and repull parameters before. Ive had to even do full key cycle to get it to read sometimes. The biggest things is dont touch anything, dont have anything in obd, dont have anything on, make sure your laptop doesnt have a battery saver feature go into screen saver or is running anything else. This is what i have found. I use two laptops to flash one has nothing but vcm only and base software. Ive even erased antivirus so it can't even try to run scan while having to connect to internet. Antivirus programs are notorious for screwing up flashes. No adware programs none of it lose it all. those programs screw up regular software now imagine how sensitive flashing a car is. Need i say anymore? This is what i have seen and what i do to keep it from happening some people will say ohh ive flashed 50 gen v cars without any problems. Personally i think they are full of it. I have run into unclearable false codes though even with latest snap on software and launch or bosch. Usually battery disconnect works. Seems hptuners will only clear pending or history codes. If labeled otherwise it wont clear.
    Last edited by jpierro79; 10-21-2018 at 07:40 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Did you figure this out?
    I'm having similar problems after installing headers. Everything hooked up right, no leaks. Anything over 40% throttle getting pops

Willdoe, post the log and current tune.
    2018 Camaro SS, LT4 Fuel System, LT4 S/C
    2020 Ford Edge ST (93-E85 flex fuel tune)
    1999 Pontiac Firehawk
    1987 Chevy Caprice, 6.0L TT 4L80 AWD
    ***Only AWD box chevy in the world***
    Next Level Tuning and Performance
    Tuning email: [email protected]

Potential Tuner
    Thanks all of the support. I had a few self inflicted issues going against me.

- meth nozzle leak (unmetered air)
    - b1s2 was tunned off instead of b2s2 (newb/fail)

After those fixes I was still experiencing backfiring at load. So I realized I was out of my league so I've paid for remote tuning support from a reputable tuner on the camaro6 forums.

Even after fixing above I still experience significant hesitation/backfiring. The tuner pointed me in the right direction with the ignition. When I installed the headers I also installed MSD wires. I ended up installing new plugs and eventually switched back to the OEM wires and all backfiring symptoms went away.

Take away from this: Don't be like me. At least now I can focus on the actual tuning portion.

Hope you find your issue Willdoe.

Quote Originally Posted by nezoid View Post
    Thanks all of the support. I had a few self inflicted issues going against me.

- meth nozzle leak (unmetered air)
    - b1s2 was tunned off instead of b2s2 (newb/fail)

After those fixes I was still experiencing backfiring at load. So I realized I was out of my league so I've paid for remote tuning support from a reputable tuner on the camaro6 forums.

Even after fixing above I still experience significant hesitation/backfiring. The tuner pointed me in the right direction with the ignition. When I installed the headers I also installed MSD wires. I ended up installing new plugs and eventually switched back to the OEM wires and all backfiring symptoms went away.

Take away from this: Don't be like me. At least now I can focus on the actual tuning portion.

Hope you find your issue Willdoe.
    Glad to see you got it figured out. I knew there was unmetered air going on with your issue :-) I'm interested in the oem vs msd wires creating hesitation/backfiring. I have msd wires on mine with headers and no issues. I did buy the bendable longer wires for a truck vs car though. My stock ones wouldn't work with the headers and were touching or too close for comfort.
    2018 Camaro SS, LT4 Fuel System, LT4 S/C
    2020 Ford Edge ST (93-E85 flex fuel tune)
    1999 Pontiac Firehawk
    1987 Chevy Caprice, 6.0L TT 4L80 AWD
    ***Only AWD box chevy in the world***
    Next Level Tuning and Performance
    Tuning email: [email protected]