Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCT to HPT file conversion?

Tuner in Training

SCT to HPT file conversion?

Is there any way to convert a SCT (.cef) tune file to a HPTuners (.hpt) file?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated :-)

Senior Tuner
    Write it to car with SCT and read it with HP Tuners.

Tuner in Training
    I tried that and it didn't work 🙁
    Is there a certain way to do it?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by matsounds View Post
    I tried that and it didn't work 
    Is there a certain way to do it?
    There is no certain way. If its reporting an error its probably because the tuner changed it so that it can't be read in this way.

Senior Tuner
    Definition Failed to Load or something like that but it reads successfully or it won't read at all?

Tuner in Training
    It gives an error (I'm sorry I don't remember exactly what it was) that it can't read the os?
    It was something about the wrong os or rom or cpu that the hpt couldn't read the computer when it has the SCT tune on it :-(

Tuner in Training
    maybe sct wants to protect there software for when you want to read with hpt return to stock with SCT then load tune back with HPT, im sure the engineers are onto this trick. Probably made a deal with HPT and or they altered something in the ROM or maybe HPT respects NOREADS also HPT doesnt define many of the maps SCT tuners could and probably does use some maps HPT does and vice versa so you will be missing alot of the goodness

for instance i have 32 000 maps for this raptor and its still not enough to map out inspect certain tuners work, full a2l for a ecu can cost you a lot if your trying to see what all is done you need a higer level map access, and unless your using a SCT to learn your just being a cheapguy lol
    ford.jpg
    Last edited by Stringerb3ll; 10-21-2018 at 09:41 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Idk.
    SCT was the first tuner I bought a couple years ago and I just recently bought a HP Tuner as per a recommendation from a friend.

Tuner in Training
    HPT is great tool i got ban being a troll first time around after a couple bad experiences with it, iv grown to like it and also respect the work HPT puts in to make it what it is, i assume they probably have felt the effect of software piracy and have a different feeling about it, if your cars supported pay a good tuner to make you a tune with it.

Its not a click and go program. To tune a car properly takes a lot of reading and knowledge on what your changing and why, i suggest any of the greg banish tuning books before a tool (HPT should provide this, it would make the forums more interesting). knowing how sensors and D/A conversion happen is important to compliment a lot of the knowledge you might already have about "tuning" i can promise anyone a person who does many cars a will will outperform a beginners attempt, that said I'm not saying dont try to tune yourself (as everyone has to start sometime) im saying as you start understanding tuning you wil have more provocative questions, if its your niche interest.

thats why when i need a tune on something domestic ill ask a boss like Cam at Light Speed to help me. If you want to be a good calibrator pick a single ecu to work with until you get on a level you can take more on. Personally i only Tune European cars, at that i try sticking to just VW AUDI, a function sheet is 30 000+ pages, it can be a life commitment to fully understand one controller, everyone is in different depths of waters, i have spent 30 hours up behind IDA many times. its not for everyone, reading a SCT tune i don think will help you much unless you have all maps defined, you might get some of the timing and fueling maps no idea as i have never tried. but im sure someone will sell you a HPT base map if your not into the making of it yourself (expect to pay something, as good tuners dont like to share sometimes years of calibration know how) im all for this becoming a trade taught in school then we can have formal trailing on these things, you go to school to be a barber but not any tuner accreditation but there should be, because you need to be a multilevel thinker just to get information needed sometimes. sorry for the rant of sort but weed is legal here now im super dooper baked

Tuner in Training
    I am definitely a beginner... Haha
    I was wanting to get the data from the SCT tune I paid for so that I could have a baseline to go off of for the HPT...... At least that was my idea and why I wanted to know if there was a way to convert the SCT files I have.

Do you have any recommendations for someone that knows and has experience making HPT files for my 2013 Ford F150 (V6 Ecoboost)?

Tuner in Training
    not sure, i know a very good tuner that tunes your model, I dont think he sells openfiles, ill ask him tho. as i said good tuners spent along time or a lot of money to learn whats needed, and have had the good bad and indifferent happen that makes them experienced. is this your daily driver?

Tuner in Training
    Yes, it is my daily.
    I can send the factory file I pulled using the HPT if that would help him.

Advanced Tuner
    I am definitely a beginner... Haha
    I was wanting to get the data from the SCT tune I paid for so that I could have a baseline to go off of for the HPT......
    No. You paid for the performance gain of the tune, not the data itself. That's like saying you bought an iPhone so you also own the schematics to build it. This is exactly why SCT tuners change their tune so that it can't be read easily. I can't really blame a tuner who does this for obvious reasons. Tuners put a tremendous amount of work into their tunes that you really won't appreciate till you do it yourself as many of us on this forum have. No offense and good luck!!

Is there any way to convert a SCT (.cef) tune file to a HPTuners (.hpt) file?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated :-)
    No. A .cef file is a encrypted exported file and can't be converted back to a tune file even using SCT software, at least with the user version.
    If flashing it to the vehicle and reading with HPT doesn't work you need to contact the tuner and ask for the .mtf file, that file can be opened in Advantage and do something more useful with it.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Tuner in Training
    It's all good.... I just wanted it as a starting point or baseline to see where I should poking around to change things.

Tuner in Training
    I'll see if they will let me have the .mtf file.
    If I can get it, how hard is it to convert that one?

i had a pantera with an ecoboost in it tuned originally by SCT and I read it with HPTuners and reflashed my calibration and it worked fine.

Tuner in Training
    I'll have to give it another try then.

Advanced Tuner
    I'll have to give it another try then.
    When I said they alter the tune I didn't mean just encryption. My take on it is (and I could be wrong) : Many popular tuners have their own custom strategy. This means when you go to read with HPT it doesn't know how to process the data into the tables correctly. It's essentially as if you were connecting to an unsupported vehicle. That said I know the engineers could make it work, but I believe they have an agreement not to. For your case it could be this or might not be, you didn't say you who got the tune from. I own an SCT device with custom tune and it's collecting dust.. HPT is just so much better. Just to be able to log mapped points makes it 100x better....

Learn HPT and tune yourself... you won't regret it.

Tuner in Training
    From what I can see, it is a custom strategy.
    I can connect to it, but it won't read the file.
    It shows the os as "MPTECO4".
    The tune is from More Power Tuning (MPT) in Florida.

I would love to learn the HPT, but the book is so damn expensive.