Thread: Swapped refurbished ECU into a unlocked vehicle, won't allow to flash

Tuner in Training

Swapped refurbished ECU into a unlocked vehicle, won't allow to flash

I flashed a 2005 Tahoe. The old ECU took a dump. We ordered a new/refurbished ecm for it. When I try to flash the previous licensed file, it shows a message of "unlicensed vehicle". When I read the unlicensed ecm, I try to licensed it, but the Vin number shows nothing but symbols, and the program doesn't let me license the file. Am I doing this wrong? I'd greatly appreciate anyone's help, I'm going crazy with this truck. Thank you!

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Sounds like your having a read error. Have you talked with tech for possible solutions?

Don't just write entire over the new ecu. You will have to check for OS/hardware compatibility to prevent a missmach error.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah, I haven't talked with tech support yet, that's what I'll do next. When I read the new ECU, the program asks me to enter a VIN number for the new ECM. I try using the same Vin for the truck, but it doesn't save, and it also says the Vin isn't compatible, so I'm lost here

Advanced Tuner
    Some remanufactured P01 / P59 PCMs seem to only have a basic Bootloader type program installed, and will need to be initially programmed with a Tech 2 or similar device. Others may come with a random program loaded, and you MAY be able to reflash these using tuning software.

Tuner in Training
    Okay, thank you. I figured out a way around it. The way I did it was reading the file out of the refurbished ECM. Gave it a 2006 Tahoe Vin number, then licensed that, and Bam! Thanks for the input