Thread: 2007 Frankenstein's Monster Grand Prix. 3.29 gear help...

Tuner in Training

Thumbs down 2007 Frankenstein's Monster Grand Prix. 3.29 gear help...

I finally have my car all back together. Took for a drive and the transmission shifting just feels horrible.

The vehicle was originally a 2007 Base Model. Trans had a 3.05 final drive and I swapped the HD Diff into the car and my research tells me that changes the final drive to 3.29. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I changed the gear/tire wizard to 3.69, but it seemed like it was worse and wasn't shifting right.

adding my last scan and tune. hopefully someone can chime in and help me out.

I have new valve springs in and i am able to shift over 6k. new springs new cam.

POOR BOY TO WORK.hpl READ 10-21-18 3.29 AIR.hpt

Mods:
    Headers
    vs cam
    105 springs
    double roller
    42.5 injectors
    3.4 pulley

Tuner in Training
    Found a few files in the tune repository. I guess I will try these out and see what happens.

Calibration for the drive sprocket ratio for 3.29 gears is 1.00
    No need to change any other stuff in the "speedo" / calibration. just the "drive sprocket ratio" change to 1.00 from your current 1.121

To get more aggressive shifts, you can scale down the force motor current, and up the shift pressures a little at a time.

Highlight the whole "force motor current" table and multiply by 0.9
    Then go for a drive and see if anything changed. If the shifts are still too soft, then up the shift pressures a little at a time.
    Leave the desired shift time alone.

In the scanner... In the main channel table (far left table ) I like to scan everything possible, weather it's relevant or not. Add all the possible channels in that table. There are many transmission channels too.

You never know when you gonna need to compare certain channels in 2 different scans to trouble shoot a problem.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for your continued help Zero. She's running great now and I can finally just focus on getting fueling dialed in. So far I've seen about 8-9psi wide open with no knock. Timing is only set for 13*

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBoostBuick View Post
    In the scanner... In the main channel table (far left table ) I like to scan everything possible, weather it's relevant or not. Add all the possible channels in that table. There are many transmission channels too.

You never know when you gonna need to compare certain channels in 2 different scans to trouble shoot a problem.

Glad to hear !

Not having any KR is wonderful. You've done a good job thus far. Sounds like now you gotta do little fiddling / fine tuning, which is fun.

I'm happy to help anytime.

Tuner in Training
    Well....42.5's are maxed. 111% duty cycle at 6k. Time for 60s an intercooler and 3.2!

I see in your tune you're aiming for 11.5 afr. which is a little rich. You can try from 12 to 12.5 afr and see if there is any KR. If you don't have any KR at 12 or 12.5 afr then that should make more power than 11.5 afr and reduce the injector duty cycle.

Tuner in Training
    Oh crap ok I'll try that. That's what I get for listening to my work buddy. I thought 12-12.5 was a better number. I'll roll around on that for a few days and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBoostBuick View Post
    I see in your tune you're aiming for 11.5 afr. which is a little rich. You can try from 12 to 12.5 afr and see if there is any KR. If you don't have any KR at 12 or 12.5 afr then that should make more power than 11.5 afr and reduce the injector duty cycle.

Tuner in Training

Tuner in Training
    Eww I jst realized how dirty it looks under there. You can tell it sat a while.

12.0+ if you were using E85 maybe.

No way I'd try to run 12.0-12.5 on a 93 octane. To me that's asking for trouble.

I could never run more than 15-17 degrees with 93 octane with 11.5 afr on 9-10psi of boost.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Now another person saying 12 is too lean. I'm no master tuner so I'm taking any advice I can get. I think I will still command 12:1 and see where I get since I don't have any knock now. If I start to see knock then I will go back to 11. 5. I'm going for bigger injectors either way because I will probably still be over 90% at 12 to 1 and I would like them to be under 80% at least.

I would love to go E85 but the closest station is like 20mins form my house. I would have too much fun and burn 1/4 tank before I got back home.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    12.0+ if you were using E85 maybe.

No way I'd try to run 12.0-12.5 on a 93 octane. To me that's asking for trouble.

I could never run more than 15-17 degrees with 93 octane with 11.5 afr on 9-10psi of boost.

Tuner in Training
    Back from the dead. I'm going 3.69 on the trans.