Thread: Shorted out 0411 PCM, now what?

Tuner in Training

Shorted out 0411 PCM, now what?

Well long story short I pinched the 12v wire that powers the PCM while trying to screw down a new fuse block and ended up shorting out my PCM. Literally went up in smoke. For whatever reason the 5amp fuse didn't pop. The 12v wire had a very small pinch that must have been just enough to toast the computer but not pop the fuse if that's even possible.
    Huge bummer as I just bought the computer from PCI Conversions and I've spent tons of time tuning the truck to have this happen. Thankfully the vehicle is for off-road use only and not a daily commuter.

I've located a used GM 0411 PCM but what's the next step? From what I have read I need to hook up the new PCM and then do a "write entire" with my old file? It looks like I also spend $100 for 2 credits? I'm super green when it comes to HP Tuners and don't want to waste anymore money. Any help on the steps to get my old file onto the new computer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

It's likely to cost you 4 credits if you choose to license the new computer, then write entire a different file into it. Because then you are creating a new VIN/OS pair on another computer and it may ask you to license it.

You're best bet and likely the easiest way is to just license your new computer, then open up the new file then open your old file with the compare feature. Then click compare again, click view comparison log, then click collapse all boxes, right click the engine icon and click copy over all differences.

Do that for each one you need it for. If the computer you buy is from a different truck or car with a different transmission you will need to try and do a segment swap first, then do the compare/copy over all differences on the transmission stuff.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for the help. Makes sense to keep the file that's on the new computer and copy the old file over with the compare feature.

Not sure if I understand the segment swap part for the transmission. How to I check this? My truck has a 5.3 with a th400 manual valve body. In my current file if I remember correctly under the transmission settings it's set to Manual.

You can either do a real segment swap with a manual file, if you can find a manual OS that matches your new computer. Manual OS segments work great for Th350 or Th400 swaps if you can find them. Finding the right camaro/firebird or even stock silverado truck file is kinda tricky as they aren't always the same.

Or you will just have to disabled all transmission related codes and abuse modes so the engine runs file. Just setting the transmission type to manual does nothing because the calibration is still setup for a 4L60e. That is why I never change that settings or do a segment swap if possible.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    The file I have currently im assuming is a manual file as I bought the computer brand new from PCI Conversions and they had me specify my setup, 5.3 with th400. Is it possible to do a segment swap with the file I have now?

Advanced Tuner
    If you have already licensed the file from the smoked PCM then you can license the new PCM and write entire to have everything the same. It doesn't create the vin os mismatch because it was already a valid pair. I had to do the same thing when I bricked a friends PCM in his hummer. When I used the compare function it did not run correctly because I had different segments for the engine segments.

Tuner in Training
    Markmx6, this is exactly what I want to do. I just want to take the smoked PCM file and transfer it to the new PCM.
    So the steps to do this would be to install the new PCM in vehicle , License the new PCM, then open the old smoked PCM file and do a "Write Entire"?
    Would this mean I only need to waste 2 credits to license the new PCM?

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, That is exactly how it should work. 2 credits to license the new computer and you have already spent the credits to license the tune file. I have done it this way twice with no hiccups. Once because I bricked a PCM from my friends hummer, which was completely my fault by doing something I knew was wrong, I wrote his original tune file to a new PCM with no issues. The other time was writing a 01 express file to a PCM from a 02 V6 Blazer PCM to use in my suburban for an 0411 swap.