Thread: 2009 Chevy Express van 4L80 shift modifications

Potential Tuner

2009 Chevy Express van 4L80 shift modifications

Hi all,

First post. Please excuse if this has been covered before, but I couldn?t find this topic by doing a search.

I have a 2009 Chevy Express 3500 extended van with a (puny) 4.8 liter motor (LY2) and a 4L80E transmission (MT1) - both stock at this time - and I would like to change the shift programs. The van is always heavily loaded (it's a camper van) and runs 9000-9500 pounds. Because it lugs up hills, the cruise control doesn?t keep up, and there is a drop in speed often followed by a downshift to 3rd (OK) and then often to 2nd (very annoying).

When I connect the HP Tuner and download the stock vehicle data, it shows the following transmission maps: 'normal', 'Pattern A', 'Pattern B', 'hot', and 'hot engine'. Other than the obvious hot's, when are these various maps activated? Is it a function of 'cruise' or not, 'tow/haul' or not, etc.? What should I be data logging to figure out what map it is in, i.e., not sure what to put in my VCM Scanner.cfg file. Attached is the stock .hpt file.

Thanks for any help, Dick
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dicktill; 10-22-2018 at 09:26 PM.

Potential Tuner
    FYI, "Pattern A" is tow/haul mode and "Pattern B" does not appear to be used: all the maps are filled up with 318 mph.