Thread: Newb: Need help with track addict datalogging and gauge display

Potential Tuner

Newb: Need help with track addict datalogging and gauge display

Hey everyone..1st post.

I just purchased the MPVI2 along with the AEM X series wideband gauge with pass-thru OBD2 and have a few questions.
    This is what I'm trying to accomplish: I want to be able to display gauges on my android tablet using the MPVI2 bluetooth to show IATs etc and datalog at the same time.
    can it be done?

Total newb here so please bare with me.

1. does track addict display gauges like torque?
    2. does track addict datalog as well as VCM scanner or at least gather enough info for my tuner?
    3. if track addict does display gauges, can I datalog and display gauges at the same time with track addict?
    4. can I connect my tablet via bluetooth with torque app(for gauge display) and use the VCM suite w/cable connection to datalog with my laptop at the same time?
    5. is torque even compatible with the MPVI2?

or, maybe some can just tell me what i need to do...

thanks,
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
    1. does track addict display gauges like torque?
    TrackAddict's dashboard is optimized for lap timing and other driving info, so it does not currently have a graphical gauge dashboard. There is the ability to configure 3 data channel displays on the left panel, to be shown on the main Record screen, or you can also go into the OBD Live Monitor screen (available from the OBD Channel selection screen) and view all selected OBD parameters. These are all text-based displays at this time. We may have another app that's more suited to dashboard use in the future...

2. does track addict datalog as well as VCM scanner or at least gather enough info for my tuner?
    TrackAddict's datalogging is mostly SAE parameters (aka Mode 01) right now, with a few added bonuses on GM vehicles for MPVI2 users, while VCM Scanner is also able to access many manufacturer-specific enhanced parameters as well as broadcast parameters. Although the SAE parameters will give you your fuel trims, RPM, TPS, IAT, ECT, MAF / MAP, and spark advance, most tuners tend to prefer the additional data available from VCM Scanner. We do plan to expand TrackAddict to the same level of scanning capability, and possibly offer other options as well, but VCM Scanner is the one with the most capability today.

3. if track addict does display gauges, can I datalog and display gauges at the same time with track addict?
    TrackAddict can datalog and display data at the same time, although the display options in this app are a bit limited as explained in answer #1 above.

4. can I connect my tablet via bluetooth with torque app(for gauge display) and use the VCM suite w/cable connection to datalog with my laptop at the same time?
    It is not presently possible to use both Bluetooth and USB on the MPVI2 at the same time.

5. is torque even compatible with the MPVI2?
    No, Torque and 3rd party apps are not compatible with the MPVI2. Most OBD apps are setup to use an ELM327-compatible interface, which was a bit too limited for what we wanted to do with our MPVI2.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you so much. How about this scenario.

an AEM X series wideband with pass thru OBD2 conncted to the cars OBD2 port. Then connect a OBD2 "Y" splitter cable. Connect the MPVI2 to one side and an "ELM327-compatible interface" to the other side? Then Torque can read ELM327 and VMC scanner can read the other.

Will that work?

All I want to do is be able to see my IATs etc.. and datalog at the same time. that has to be possible...right?

BTW: 2016 Camaro SS
    Last edited by grampa_ss; 10-23-2018 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
    Thank you so much. How about this scenario.

an AEM X series wideband with pass thru OBD2 conncted to the cars OBD2 port. Then connect a OBD2 "Y" splitter cable. Connect the MPVI2 to one side and an "ELM327-compatible interface" to the other side? Then Torque can read ELM327 and VMC scanner can read the other.

Will that work?

All I want to do is be able to see my IATs etc.. and datalog at the same time. that has to be possible...right?

BTW: 2016 Camaro SS
    That may be possible, but because Torque (or most any other common OBD app) would be actively polling for data via the ELM327, any other devices (ie the MPVI2) would likely need to be operating in a passive mode, as we often don't see success from two devices trying to talk at the same time on a Y splitter.

To do this, you would need to configure VCM Scanner to use only broadcast parameters (ie it doesn't actively request data; it just listens to what's automatically sent over the CAN bus and picks out what it wants), and you should also establish its connection first so that any initial data requests it makes can complete before the ELM327/Torque starts up. Support for this type of setup would be as-is, being that we can't guarantee anything with other people's products, so if you encountered any issues, the first thing to try would be to unplug the ELM327.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you!

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    TrackAddict's datalogging is mostly SAE parameters (aka Mode 01) right now, with a few added bonuses on GM vehicles for MPVI2 users,....

I'm resurrecting this thread to ask about these "added bonuses on GM vehicles". Is there any documentation on this?

FWIW, I'm hoping to be able to log oil pressure in TrackAddict with the 0411 PCM in my car. Thus far, I have been unable to get TrackAddict to see the PID for oil pressure using an ELM OBD device.

-Justin