Thread: VE tuning 06 GTO

Tuner in Training

VE tuning 06 GTO

I also posted this in VCM Editor, Im not sure where exactly to post but I feel like I will get a answer here quicker

So Im in the process of trying to VE tune my GTO but Im hesitant to start because I'm readying how to in the Tuning School book and there are things missing for me.

First off in VCM Editor it says to click on edit on the menu bar and select "Virtual Volumetric Efficiency" This is not a option on my VCM Editor so instead I went to "Engine, Airflow, General, Main VE" and found my "Primary" VE table. However VE Lo Altd and VE Hi Altd are also options. At any rate this help me built the VCM Scanner I need to scan VE LTFT.

The main problem now is once I collect data and go into to paste selecting "Multiply by %" the numbers transfer fine but after that it says "Next, in the Virtual Volumetric Efficiency table on the left hand side, select the Calculate Coefficients button" This button is not there, Im assuming its because I'm changing my Primary and not my Virtual Volumetric Efficiency tables. It shows the options under a "VE Mode" on the screen shot.

I've also followed the step my step to put the car into VE mode to the letter and Im still getting MAF data... Is this normal?

Am I doing something wrong or is this book leaving something out for a E40 ECM?

It also looks like down this line this is how I will be tuning a cam into the car, just going off the screen shots. It shows intake and exhaust camshaft angles as a option and Im not seeing that as well.

Any help on VE tuning my GTO would be awesome, really I just need to know how to access my "Virtual Volumetric Efficiency" table or at a min how to add "VE Mode" to my Primary table

The E40 does not use VVE, it only uses VE like the older P01 and P59 computers. So anything you read about VVE does not work with this computer.

When VE tuning you must remove the MAF channels to prevent data skewing. P0103 needs to be a present DTC to know that you are in speed density. If you logged the MAF data it would still read if plugged in but you do not want to log the data.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

For SD Tuning VE: Open the editor, go to Engine--DFCO Enable--Enable 284, Open and Closed Loop--LTFT Enable--Min 280--Max 284, Power Enrich --Ramp in 2.0000--PEDelay--Rpm 0, COT lean cruise--COT Disable, Engine Diagnostic--Airflow--Mass airflow sensor--Fail High 0--Fail Low 0, DTC's--P0101, P0102, P0103 set to MIL on first error. Write calibration to the car--be sure and save a copy of the original tune first. Be sure to log Cylinder airmass in the channels and do not log Maf in the channels while tuning VE. STFT's are still on and you can tune low rpm's up to 4000 non wot--smooth on the pedal--keep an eye on the wideband. To tune wot when you feel ve is good down low, go to Engine --Fuel-- Closed loop enable--Ect vs startup--change to all 284 in the chart. This is in addition to the above changes. Write calibration--now you are in open loop. Do not tune WOT unless you have a wideband (boom). Make dam sure your low octane table is 5 to 6 degrees less than the hi octane table so if it knocks you have some safety. Log knock retard also. Be careful --small changes. When you get it right, turn back on the things that you just disabled. Then turn off ve and tune the maf if you have one.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Advanced Tuner
    If you have failed the maf, how would logging it affect the data? Just trying to learn.