Thread: I have questions about my tune? E85?

Tuner in Training

I have questions about my tune? E85?

so, to start i bought a 2011 Camaro 2ss with a Huron single turbo kit. I bought it at a small dealership, as is. The only thing they could say about the car was the gas didn't smell normal and thought it was E85. I drove to the nearest E85 gas station put in enough E85 to get to emissions, plates and home. Car doesn't seem to have issues driving around.

My questions start, as I opened up the tune I saw the stoich AFR was changed to 12 all the way across, why is this? The spark timing tables have changes for E85, I think? Also, when I look at the maf scale why would I want more than one cell with the same flow numbers? When I compare to a stock maf its less than a 5% increase which I thought from N.A. to E85 was another 5% to 8% more? The aem wideband is in gas. I do understand a wideband only thinks in volts from stoich and the gauge translates so 14.7 gas is really 9.02 E85, they are both 2.34v. The wideband does not seem to be wired into the a.c. or e.g.r. input.

I have not yet driven the car hard because in my datalog you can see I am running out of fuel pressure starting at 3000rpms so I do plan on dropping the tank to see what I have and decide where to go from there.

I have so many questions about this tune. Is this just a base tune? Are these good changes to this tune? Why would the stoich be changed from a scale to just 12 afr? Will this tune work if I install and enable a flex fuel sensor? Are the changes even for E85, was it to run gas or race gas and a turbo? I'm sure more questions will come. Attached is the tune and a data log. Any input is appreciated.

Thank you for looking and commenting.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 3 GENS; 10-28-2018 at 01:04 PM.

the flex fuel is turned off therefore you have no actual reading. There is no sensor installed. No telling what damage your doing. its trying to run as if there is no e 85 because there is no sensor installed. If you wish to go further with this either i can guide you or seek a professional shop this car is unfortunately done completely the wrong way cause you had a cheep person on the other end

Tuner in Training
    correct the flex fuel isn't active. and it doesn't need it if the person tuning it just planned to run e 85 only. i doubt if the car was finished when i bought it.what i do know about the car is it was bought a year earlier then lost to a lean i would think to the shop building it and then was auctioned off by the lender. this is when the dealership i bought it at received it and then i bought it. when i bought the car they had only did there inspection and driven it around the block this is why they could only tell me that the gas didn't smell normal which is why i am asking is it even a e85 tune. it could be a 91 octane tune for turbo.
    initially when i opened the tune i saw things that for me did not make sense to me on any type of fuel and i would like to know why the changes made were done i was thinking a experienced tuner could tell me that there is a reason that this person made these choices.im sure there is more than one way to get to a successful tune. i just wanted to know if it was a technique or a step to a good tune.
    the tank is almost empty i plan on tryng a tank of 91 octane and check the data log see how it looks but this stoich afr being set to 12 is a big question for me why?
    as for your offer to guide me though to a good tune i am all about it and would love the assistance.
    i do know that i should get a 3 bar map and i plan to next

You must have a sensor if you plan to use E85. The alcohol content is never the same from tank to tank or gas station to gas station. Unless you are running E85 from a barrel, that is the only way to get by without a sensor because that barrel of fuel is sold at a specific alcohol content.

A stoich ratio of 12.0 is like saying the car is running 40-50% alcohol content or close to that, that is no where close to what most gas station will be at. This time of year it's 50-75% minimum depending on where you live.

You if plan to run 91 octane you must change the stoich back to roughly 14.63 or 14.2 if you think your area runs around 8-10% ethanol in your fuels. How ever tuned this prior is not very smart and the way they set it up is completely wrong.

Once the stoich is corrected for the fuel you are using, this thing needs a wideband ASAP to make sure you aren't going to hurt it. The real time air fuel ratio must be known so you can properly tuning the airflow model. Also add knock retard, cylinder airmass, your injector information to your logs. I can't view the tune at the moment but I can only assume there are other things that need attention.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    the car does have a wide band just not wired int the a.c.
    also it does have 80 lbs injectors

Tuner in Training
    update today the tank was ran vary low and i put in 10 gallons of 91 octane with the original map accept for the stoich scale is a copy of a stock tune
    i logged home it seems the tune is for gas. but i don't think i want to even start with this tune.so i decided to get started on a 91 octane tune it already runs better i am attaching the log home and the new tune, log and idle after. the wideband reads 10afr and slowly goes 10.4afr when the throttle is100
    Attached Files Attached Files

Start saving for a new engine if you keep running that tune at all. Someone demoded and didn't change the tune back.

Tuner in Training
    what does it mean a demoded a tune? are you speaking of the tune that came with the car?

I would not run that engine at WOT or it will hydralock and break a lot of stuff. You have a FF tune in it with FF disabled and no FF sensor. You need a stock tune for that engine if you run 93 in it.where I live we get 10% FF in our UL so all of our new tables have the virtual sensor enabled and FF enabled and set to 10-10 as all of our gas has 10% in it.anyway get it fixed or put a sensor on it if you run FF