Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using GPS Speedo From Gopro and Data From HPT.csv

Tuner in Training

Using GPS Speedo From Gopro and Data From HPT.csv

Here I am again. I logged my mile run successfully with HP Tuners and recorded it on a GoPro 7 Black and am trying to render a video with the rpm data from .csv file and use gopro data file for gps speedometer. I have the video and rpm data synced perfectly, but am having trouble getting the data from the gopro to display gps speedometer. The gopro gps does work as I already made a gopro video with this same data on their quick app. Maybe I'm not choosing the correct settings I'm sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jason, did you select calculate MPH? Have you tried Automatic? What other selections are there for that drop down box?

Tuner in Training
    I'm not at my pc right now so I couldn't say for sure, but I have tried many different combinations without success. The .csv file works, but only to 160 MPH so I need to use GPS. In the past I have used the track addict app and it worked perfect, never relied on gopro for gps data.

It is difficult to determine what the issue is without looking at the file. Is it possible to provide a sample of the csv file so we can analyse it?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Candive View Post
    It is difficult to determine what the issue is without looking at the file. Is it possible to provide a sample of the csv file so we can analyse it?
    For some reason I can't upload it. However, I'm trying to use GPS data from GoPro so isn't .csv irrelevant? I hope you don't take that wrong as I appreciate the help. The GPS data works, but cant get Racerender to make it work. Here is proof GoPro's data works...

https://youtu.be/58ShPhbZleM

Great video. You can use Dropbox or Onedrive to load your data file and then post the link. But I'm now a little confused. Where did the csv file originally come from? After rereading your post I now realise that the csv wasn't generated by the Gopro and only captures rpm; not speed. What I think we need is the data file from the Gopro and you export that file as a csv. What you have to ensure is that your speedometer is referencing the right data file and field. Also you may need to do a conversion to get the expected speed. Does that make sense? Personally I don't use a Gopro but the principal should be basically the same for all action cameras.
    Last edited by Candive; 11-06-2018 at 05:01 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Great video. You can use Dropbox or Onedrive to load your data file and then post the link. But I'm now a little confused. Where did the csv file originally come from? After rereading your post I now realise that the csv wasn't generated by the Gopro and only captures rpm; not speed. What I think we need is the data file from the Gopro and you export that file as a csv. What you have to ensure is that your speedometer is referencing the right data file and field. Also you may need to do a conversion to get the expected speed. Does that make sense? Personally I don't use a Gopro but the principal should be basically the same for all action cameras.
    I logged the run using HP Tuners on my laptop, that is where I got the .csv file. I am trying to use the GPS data for MPH from Gopro. I can get MPH from the .csv file, but as you know it maxes out at 160 :-(

Now I understand, If you load just the video and not the csv, are you able to get any reading from the speedo?

Tuner in Training
    Now I understand, If you load just the video and not the csv, are you able to get any reading from the speedo?
    I just tried that per your suggestion and got nothing from the speedo. When you load the video file it tells you there is also gps data would you like to use it? I click yes and it shows gopro data in the appropriate box. It puts the speedo overlay on the video, but doesn't do anything the entire time. I'll stick with my usual method from now on, Iphone and track addict.

Hi Jason,
    If you right click the file and save it as a csv, you can then open it up in excel and view what data columns have been extracted. You could even attach it or a portion of it to your post and this will give members the opportunity to review it if you like.

Tuner in Training
    Hi Jason,
    If you right click the file and save it as a csv, you can then open it up in excel and view what data columns have been extracted. You could even attach it or a portion of it to your post and this will give members the opportunity to review it if you like.
    I will try that thanks.

Tuner in Training
    Hi Jason,
    GH015107-RR_Data.csv

I had a quick look. I think you posted the first 23 seconds of the file. But your car doesn't go until 1:20 according to your video. So the speed which I get is zero which is expected if the vehicle isn't moving. So the data needed is the last portion or the actual movement of the car.

Tuner in Training
    I had a quick look. I think you posted the first 23 seconds of the file. But your car doesn't go until 1:20 according to your video. So the speed which I get is zero which is expected if the vehicle isn't moving. So the data needed is the last portion or the actual movement of the car.
    Thanks for looking. I guess there is a disconnect the way racerender collects gps data from gopro then?

Hi Jason,
    The csv file does have a column Speed in meters per second. Try changing the setting as per the attached.
    Speed setting.PNG

Tuner in Training
    Hi Jason,
    The csv file does have a column Speed in meters per second. Try changing the setting as per the attached.
    Speed setting.PNG
    Just tried it and it didn't resolve the issue

There have been other posts where Gopro users complain about the camera producing bad raw data but when loaded into their software or Dashware (which is owned by Gopro) the data is manipulated to generate the correct result.

In your original post you indicated that when you loaded the video into the Gopro quick app, it worked. Can that app generate a csv file? My line of thinking is that the export from the app may produce additional data columns with the speed data you require.

Tuner in Training
    Hi Jason,

Load the GoPro video into DashWare. It will create a csv file with raw data and adjusted information, particularly for altitude and distance. See the thread that I started about this. Candive and I went through just about everything.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...n-and-Distance

That said, the GoPro is notorious for giving incorrect data. Here is a recent example. The first image is from my GoPro, the second from my cell phone.

GoPro bad route to chalet Marcel.jpg

GoPro good route to chalet Marcel.jpg

Tuner in Training
    There have been other posts where Gopro users complain about the camera producing bad raw data but when loaded into their software or Dashware (which is owned by Gopro) the data is manipulated to generate the correct result.

In your original post you indicated that when you loaded the video into the Gopro quick app, it worked. Can that app generate a csv file? My line of thinking is that the export from the app may produce additional data columns with the speed data you require.
    Quote Originally Posted by John CB View Post
    Hi Jason,

Load the GoPro video into DashWare. It will create a csv file with raw data and adjusted information, particularly for altitude and distance. See the thread that I started about this. Candive and I went through just about everything.

That said, the GoPro is notorious for giving incorrect data. Here is a recent example. The first image is from my GoPro, the second from my cell phone.

I will try this, thanks for your help.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by John CB View Post
    Hi Jason,

Well darn, Dashware is not as user friendly for a newb like me. How exactly do I extract a .csv file from the gopro video with Dashware?