Thread: 6l80e Ct Downshift

Tuner in Training

6l80e Ct Downshift

So I have had a pretty noticeable Ct downshift into 1st for as long as I can remember in my 08 G8 GT. Recently been trying to figure out how to tune around it. In stock form it downshifts 3-1 at 6 mph. I have separated 3-2-1 downshifts with various mph combos which helps but ends up feeling clunky if you stop quickly. To compensate for that have tried to get it to downshift faster but that didn?t seem to help. Started out with higher downshift pressures but went back to stock helped to soften it but still prominent. Have used various combos of CT Tq management timing control ends up trying to kill motor and throttle control doesn?t seem any diff then with it turned off. Anybody been able to tune around this? On the 3-1 downshift I see close to 200 rpm increase as 1st gear is engaged and has a engine brake feel.G8 GT LSA Cts-v Idle Stuff.hpt
    Last edited by wa04compg; 12-06-2018 at 07:02 PM.
    08 G8 GT LSA
    04 GTP CompG XP cam SOLD

Tuner in Training
    Think I was actually able to fix this with help from a couple guys on Facebook and looking at a ctsv tune. Triggering 3-2 at 11 mph and then 2-1 at 0 mph with longer shift times from ctsv seems to very smooth. I had previously tried 2-1 at 0 mph and 3-2 at the stock 6 mph and there was similar affect on 3-2 as had been with 3-1.

Tuner in Training
    Bumping this back up! Still looking for any feedback on how to get the 3-1 downshift smooth. Not downshifting into 1 until stopped seem to be the trick but if I came to a stop slowly it would stay in 2 and start off in 2. If I stopped quickly would go into 1 without issue when stopped. I don?t remember if the harshness of the shift was present when I first bought it but really doesn?t seem like I should even be able to feel when stopping

Tuner
    post a tune file that could help with figuring out a solution. i have a 09 G8 GT

Tuner in Training
    I'm having the same issue with my car. If I try to give it throttle after coastdown and rolling through a stop sign at 9 mph, the car also jerks pretty hard downshifting to 2nd.

Post a log and your tune and I'll do the same soon.

Tuner
    Again posting your tune will help so we can see the shift points and mph

Tuner in Training
    Added my tune
    08 G8 GT LSA
    04 GTP CompG XP cam SOLD

Advanced Tuner
    I generally wont let it downshift from 2-1 until the car has stopped. 4-3 3-2 is enough engine breaking if the TCC is locked

Tuner in Training
    Yeah I did that for awhile but found it wouldn?t always go 2-1 when stopped. If I stopped slowly would stay and start in 2nd gear. If I stopped quickly would 2-1 like normal. Today I just switched all my idle settings to stock g8 which seems to help. 550 must be the ideal rpm for the stock converter