Thread: 4.8 fresh cam swap Keep getting p0106 Map Circuit Range/ Performance *NEWBY*

Potential Tuner

Question 4.8 fresh cam swap Keep getting p0106 Map Circuit Range/ Performance *NEWBY*

First post on here, ever. I don't expect to impress.
    I'm completely green in using hp tuners and last week I finally did the cam swap in my 02 Silverado rcsb 4.8.
    I have the new MPVI2 standard device.
    SS2 Jegs Cam is 228/230 .585 lift 112. New everything in top end, head gaskets, lifters, etc.. Circle d 3k stall. long tubes no cats. stock air box with airaid tube. new fast firewires. tr55ix plugs. catch can system

I keep getting a p0106 map code and idle acts up every now and then. I have gone over everything and have no vacuum leaks. Now since im new to hp tuners I looked through several tunes from the repository and went from there,. It gets me to work fine. Ive been researching when I can making subtle changes but still learning what everything means. I have attached my current tune file to this and will take any kind of help/criticism I can get. Will take criticism about everything else in tune also not just the idle/map.
    Not very smart but I also logged a WOT 1/4 pass on it and attached that as well just for more information for you all.

I have some decapped injectors for it that I know I need to install cause I noticed duty cycle was maxed out on that run. Also noticed that at WOT, throttle % said like 96-97%.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Engine diag- Airflow - Calc map max

The cam will cause lower vacuum at idle which causes the ECU to tirgger the P0106 code. The table listed above can tune this error threshold or disable it.

Potential Tuner
    engine diag will only let me change MIL. how do I get to that?
    or are you talking about map characteristics linear and offset
    Last edited by gfields41; 10-30-2018 at 12:24 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by gfields41 View Post
    engine diag will only let me change MIL. how do I get to that?
    or are you talking about map characteristics linear and offset
    on the Hptuners menu ---- Edit- View- from BASIC to ---> Advanced

Potential Tuner
    you just changed my life. lol

Add commanded AFR or lambda (eq ratio) to your logs, you want to see that. Get your wideband into your logs as well to make tuning much quicker. You are basically out of fuel injector at 95%+ right now on the duty cycle but that's without any data to see what the real time AFR is.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    doesnt the 4.8 have 25 lbers? those things are toast at like 340 hp assuming the standard 85% max duty cycle. i would find some 42's rated at 58 psi. those should bump the cap up to 550 hp at 80% and they idle really nice.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    I added the commanded afr (low res) to the log. The other Commanded AFR wouldn't attach for some reason. is there a trick to adding it or Does it matter between the two?
    I don't have a wide band yet unfortunately, I need one asap cause I know this will help immensely with getting the tune done nicely.
    Also anyone know of a reason why oil pressure would show -15.7 on logs all the time. my dash gauge works fine btw.
    As stated above in the first post I am aware of the injectors and I already have a set of flowed decapped injectors for it that I need to install. They flowed 76 to 78 lbs. (eventually putting my VS billet 7875 turbo on it. that's why I didn't just get some 42lb injectors for it)