Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruined ecm?

Tuner in Training

Ruined ecm?

So I made a error in judgment this morning on my way to work stopped at the transmission shop they just installed a 2wd 80e. I set up a segment tune swap last night saved the file did not close it in HP tuners. When I got to the vehicle this morning I did not read the vehicle, I did an immediate write, smh. Went through the first step of protocols started erasing, then I got a communication error cannot reconnect to the vehicle neither. Any suggestions?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    keep trying to write with the file installed before the flash error. some people get lucky and it will eventually connect and flash.
    if this does not happen then the ecu should have been reset to a mode that can allow the dealership to still flash software to recover the unit.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Well I went and got a ECM from the junkyard out of a 06 Sierra 6.0/60e, swapped it out connected no problem, saved file, the ECM is not licensed I did not license it I went to the VIN wizard copy and pasted my VIN, backed out, opened up the correct tune for it and I was going to write it and it is giving me the same error, nor a option to license it now?

Tuner in Training
    Also, I have the file that I saved for the new ECM than the other half where I saved as and created a new file after changing the VIN, that one is doing the same as the OEM ecm, if I go to the file for the new ECM I can license it, but I do not want to waste credits I try to hook up to the new ECM and it's saying protocol failed.

There is such a thing as os hardware mismatch. If you violates that then it's now a brick.
    To do anything to a new computer you must pay 2 credits.

Tuner in Training
    Okay so that $50 is out the window, if I go get another one and I use 2 credits, and license another ECM, in order to make sure my tune for the engine is there along with the segmented part for the 4 L 80 what are the correct steps that I should take so I do not have another issue? I am very new to this, and kind of getting a good crash course the hard way LOL thank you for your info though.

I know about the issues that mismatch causes but I don't know enough about it to give a helpful comment.
    There are two hpt how-to posts. one for VIN tool and one for segment swap. They have the rules listed there. If you need clarification maybe someone else can help or tech can offer a better description.

Just a side thought ...
    if you have aftermarket security or radios they can mess with the can bus sometimes. If that's a thing for you it may be worth looking into temporarily disabling. To prevent can disruption.

Tuner in Training
    Yes I do have a stereo system in it. I called my snap on guy and asked if he could pull a favor from someone he knows. So I have a GM guy coming out sat morning too see if he can flash it back to stock with some software that they're replacing tech 2 with at a local dealer. So hopefully he can save it and my 6 credits will still be intact. However you have been helpful with your replies. I will most definitely try to find that post on segment swaps.

Tuner in Training
    Okay so ECM is bricked, went and got a another ECM read file saved it, licensed it with 2 credits, went to compare files with new stock and previous tune along with the 4 L 80 segment, and bricked another ECM. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Tuner in Training
    post up one of those files , it maybe a software or file issue, maybe i will try and burn one of them also year make and model
    Last edited by benchtop; 11-06-2018 at 08:45 AM.

Tuner in Training
    I'm at work now when I get home and around my laptop I will scan the second new ECM that I just picked up on my way to work, and I will scan a log before I had any issue and I will also scan the 4 L 80 segmented log that I retrieved from HP tuners (engine is the same I used the compare feature and copied trans over)

Tuner in Training
    sometimes , well most i can un brick them with tunercats just make sure i have all of your info bro

Tuner in Training
    Well I'd love for my original ECM that is licensed Unlimited to be repairable and my credit's stay current.. vs buying another 300xx with of credits.

Tuner in Training
    what if.hptsegmeant swap trans and speedo.hpt
    What if- is basically the tune from the shop which is garbage, the second one is where I laid the trans in it and have had problems since. I'm waiting for a guy with gm software to show up to flash the new ecm that I bought this morning per my vin number. When that is completed I can read file and upload it as also.

Tuner in Training
    Try to write the tune on the original ecm without using the high-speed option and see if that fixes your problem.

Tuner in Training
    Does not, tried that before I did a write all.

Tuner in Training
    are you using the latest tool (with bluetooth) to execute this ? just wondering bro

Tuner in Training
    I have mpvi pro? No bluetooth. I went yesterday and got another ecm installed did security relearn, started vehicle, shut off, hooked up hp turned key, read ecm, saved new file, licensed with 6 credits, re read vehicle saved another folder as (corrections) opened a compare folder of just the previous engine tune, went to the compare list, right clicked on engine folder and changed all differences, closed compare folder, went to write ecm with (write calibration) and it did the same shit. Im ready to light this thing on fire. Went and got another ecm this morning just got done with the security relearn. Now to find someone, who can tune this stupid thing. However the vehicle is running- running like crap with no tune, I have vcm scanner hooked up, control module voltage says 13.0 13.1, I'm getting a message on the dash saying battery not charging, low coolant checked it, it is full..

Tuner in Training
    I never had a problem with this thing going in changing just random stuff on the old computer which was license with 6 credits, until I did the software update 4.0.12, yesterday afternoon after the issue with that ECM I did get a ticket number and sent the complaint to HP support. And going through the HP tuners forum I see there are multiple people that have been having issues with writing files and having the same symptom where they cannot reconnect to the vehicle along with not being able to start the engine.

Tuner in Training
    I am very curious to see if its the software !!!!I still have a copy of 2.2 on one laptop and use it alot , i would love to see the files