Thread: Tri-Core 1791/1797 - cooling fan settings

Tri-Core 1791/1797 - cooling fan settings

Has anyone successfully been able to adjust the fan settings on their Tri-Core ECU? I have an EcoBoost SHO, but I was curious if the non-EcoBoost cars/trucks have more success. What happens is that I can make minor changes to the ECT/RPM table and the desired ECT (to like 180F-190F) but the fan kicks on and stays on within 15 seconds of a COLD start at around 70F ambient. It makes no sense as to why it does this. Going back to the stock settings resolves this. However, during the winter (-20F to 30F ambient), the cooling fan doesn't kick on right away. Any ideas?

Senior Tuner
    Have you tried putting 0's in the lowest A/C pressure column? Even when off at 0 pressure the fans would be told to come on.

I kept the stock AC fan settings and only adjusted the ECU table and desired ECT. The fan kicks only within a 15 sec of a cold start (above 60f ambient) without using AC or defrost. Using all stock settings solved this. This doesn't happen when ambient is low, like -20 to 40F

ghftbgc.jpg

Here are my settings on my 16 coyote if they help any. Fans work as they should with a 170* thermostat.

Many complain that with the stock thermostat, the fans just run all of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev1360 View Post
    ghftbgc.jpg

Here are my settings on my 16 coyote if they help any. Fans work as they should with a 170* thermostat.

Many complain that with the stock thermostat, the fans just run all of the time.
    It looks like the only things you changed are the desired ECT of 212F to 190F, and you tweaked the first 2 columns of the ECT/IAT table? Do you notice the fan kicking on right after a cold start? I checked with my ears, visually, and with FORScan telling me the low speed fan was running.

On the left are the stock fan settings. On the right are the settings that caused the fan to kick on within 15 seconds of a dead cold start (ambient temps 50F-70F) without ever using A/C or defrost. I have the Reische 4D 170F T-stat in both instances. When the ambient temp is low (-20F to 30F), the fan doesn't do that. And my ECT doesn't rise that quickly even in the summer.

It doesn't make any sense. The tables for the ECT and Trans Temp shouldn't tell the ECU to turn on the fan that early. The desired ECT setting of 188F shouldn't do it either.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by metroplex; 09-05-2017 at 02:34 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Fans work fine on all try cores I tune, on stock thermostat i set desired tempt to 200*, at 200* I set the fans to 40%, then ramp up to 100% by 220*

For 170F t-stat, should I set to 190F desired temp and then adjust the table?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    For 170F t-stat, should I set to 190F desired temp and then adjust the table?
    This works perfectly here in Texas, 170* Resiche T-stat, heads temps stay in the 195-200* range when parked for extended periods of time(which is about 190-195* coolant temp. While driving it's normally 189*/190* head temp

fans.PNG

How often does your fan run? I guess it is a loaded question seeing you're in Texas and you'd run the A/C anyhow...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    How often does your fan run? I guess it is a loaded question seeing you're in Texas and you'd run the A/C anyhow...
    Yeah, fans kicking on sooner is how you keeps the temp lower when parked

Been reading through some of these fan setting posts. I have factory thermostat, and my settings are similar to those mentioned by Jn2. Desired set at 200 , fan speed ramps on slowly starting at 195 but comes to 100% by 220. However , for some reason I?m not seeing fans kick on till I reach 210 CHT however so roughly 205 ECT. Fans seem to come on full blast as well, as if the Fan Speed vs ECT table is being ignored. Any ideas ?

Edit: This is a 2014 GT which is losing idle speed because fans seemingly come on at full blast only.
    Last edited by nicks1031; 01-23-2019 at 06:43 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    ECT is usually about 10* less than CHT...these cars do not have coolant sensors, they have head temp sensor, and coolant is inferred off of that. So if your fans kick on around 205 cylinder head temp then your coolant is prob around 195.

Quote Originally Posted by Jn2 View Post
    ECT is usually about 10* less than CHT...these cars do not have coolant sensors, they have head temp sensor, and coolant is inferred off of that.
    This much I understand. However when I’m logging I can watch ECT go well past 200 before fans come on. Which leads me to think the table is being ignored for some reason or something else is going on. I will get a log today when I get to school.

Here's a log and a screen shot of my Fan Speed vs ECT table. You can see where the fans kick on when the spark goes nuts and there is also a drop in voltage. ECT at this point is logged at 213*.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    set 195-205 to 50%, 210+ to 100%, leave 190 at 0%

Here is a log with the settings you mentioned. Still fans aren't coming on as commanded in the table. Fans kick on right where voltage drops and spark spikes up again. This time at about 217 CHT and 208 ECT. I'm not crazy am I?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Fans kick on at the temp you have 100% under, they run and cool until your target temp where they shut off. The fan % between the 100% and your target temp is what it goes to after kicking on(while temperature should be coming down). Once it reaches target fans shut off and stay off until they kick on again.Most people would think something is wrong with the car if the fans ran all the time.
    You want to keep your target above your Tstat rating, to make the fans job easier and not impossible, you don't want them to run all the time after kicking on. A steadier temperature takes running the fans more, but there are benefits from a more consistent ECT/CHT. This is mainly for idle and traffic, once the car is moving the airflow is increased to the point the Tstat and radiator size controls temperature. Your goal should be to make idle/ traffic fluctuation the same as what happens while traveling at speed, or as close to it so that you get to your optimal temperatures shortly after starting to move again.

In cooler ambient air you don't need as aggressive %'s as in higher ambient air to get the same consistency of rise and fall in the ECT/CHT. The less you need to have the fans run the better.