Thread: LS6 No Spark No Fuel No MAF after engine rebuild

Potential Tuner

LS6 No Spark No Fuel No MAF after engine rebuild

I need some ideas for things to troubleshoot the next time Im able to work on my car. I just spent the last year going through my 03 vette, rebuilt engine with a scat 4" stroker crank(24 tooth reluctor wheel same as what my car had originally), new cam, whole 9 yards. Get it together finally annnnd it wont start. Get my tuner hooked up and Im seeing no readings on crank position sensor, no readings on cam position sensor (high or low res) nothing on MAF, no RPM, and no injector pulse width when cranking.

First guess was crank and cam position sensors, they have been replaced, same issue.
    Tested crank sensor wire harness with multimeter Ground was reading 0 ohms from the harness plug to engine block, and the other 2 wires had continuity from the sensor plug to the PCM so I think that wire harness is good. Car did run before I tore into it a year ago.

Also while the engine was out I hit all the engine bay grounds, scuffed up the connection points to get a better ground connections.

Next test I plan on testing ground, signal, power wires on the cam sensor (just for sanity I doubt Ill find an issue) My gut is telling me that my sensors and harness are ok and there is something stupid that I'm missing. I don't know why I wouldn't get a reading on all of these sensors but oil pressure, coolant temp, TPS, ect. all work fine.

Things I need help on,

Id like a way to test the sensor, could use some ideas for this. Will the sensor work with just ignition key "on" and i can take the sensor out, wave a wrench in front of it and get something to read on VCM Scanner??? Thoughts or ideas on how to test the sensor would be helpful.

Any PIDS to add to my scan while cranking? Any guess as to what common thing all these sensors have in common that may cause them to not work?
    Log is attached, not much just a few seconds of cranking, see oil pressure go up, MAP drop a bit, but shows the PCM is getting something from other sensors.

Pre thanks for anyone that can help out I am pretty busy during the day and I may not be able to reply right away but I will be reading this and will try to respond as much as possible.

nostart.hpl

I figured I would post an update to this issue in case anyone else reads this. I always hate it when I find a thread about an exact issue and OP never posts results.

Anyway this one has got to take the cake in Bubba shade tree mechanic lore. I start testing for reference voltage at my MAF as its the easiest sensor for me to get to that was reading dead. I get 0.03ish key off, and key on got 0.05~6 so nothing. I then start the process of finding the correct pins on the PCM for all my sensors I'll be testing, and then locating them on my car. My buddy is under the car looking for the cables while I read off pin connector numbers and wire colors to him. Starting with the crankshaft position sensor and cam position sensor, and I'm glad we started there. We find that someone before me has wired the crank sensor into the cam sensor pins and cam sensor pins into the crank pins. (insert long string of cussing) At first I don't believe it because how was the car running before? We check it again and the wire colors and pin locations are exactly flipped.

We flipped them back and the car fired right up. I still don't know how the hell they managed to plug the cam sensor into the crank sensor on the engine for how short the wire harness is, but that's how it had to have been plugged in for the car to have ran before I started pulling stuff. It's been a probably close to 10 months since I unhooked the harness to pull the motor and I don't remember anything like that when I was unplugging stuff.

If you run into this situation, you either hooked up your sensors wrong or someone flipped the connection at the PCM.
    Last edited by 03Z; 11-06-2018 at 09:19 AM. Reason: ISSUE FIXED

I dont see it mentioned, but do all these things have the 5v reference at the sensors or 12v at injectors?

Potential Tuner
    I have not tested for reference voltage. I'll look up how to do that for each thing and add it to the list.

Potential Tuner
    I have found a way to test the hall effect sensors as well.

Potential Tuner
    Fixed it, see opening post