Thread: Gen 5 Tuning Material Reviews

Tuner in Training

Gen 5 Tuning Material Reviews

Has anybody studied the latest version of the Tuning School's GM Gen 5 level 3 at home material or any other Gen 5 tuning courses ?

Yep
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Callies ultra billet crank
    Callies ultra billet rods
    Diamond pistons
    Jhonson high speed lifters
    Ported and polished headwork
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostnotes View Post
    Yep
    Ok thanks LOL
    Would you like to elaborate on the material ?

IT's not exactly a how to when it comes to tuning, you have to have a grasp of the fundamentals. It will get you started in the right direction and will put some things into perspective, but it's not going to hold your hand. To some degree it basically tells you to tune your MAF, tune your VE then work on your torque. They have worked for me. I had been working with a "tuner" but it would never run right. Within 30 minutes I had my very large cam C7 idling at 700 with the trims at -2%.

When I started going through the books they were able to help and I stress help put the puzzle together. After starting to read them and from what you read here, which is mostly segmented it gave me quite a few ah-ha moments and made it clearer. I have to get back on it though. My car has been down for almost 3 months on a blower and some other secret work. So it's time for me to pick back up where I left off because I was right at that point where it was really starting to get clear....then I had to stop.

Hope this helps.
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Diamond pistons
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7

Tuner in Training
    IT's not exactly a how to when it comes to tuning, you have to have a grasp of the fundamentals. It will get you started in the right direction and will put some things into perspective, but it's not going to hold your hand. To some degree it basically tells you to tune your MAF, tune your VE then work on your torque. They have worked for me. I had been working with a "tuner" but it would never run right. Within 30 minutes I had my very large cam C7 idling at 700 with the trims at -2%.

When I started going through the books they were able to help and I stress help put the puzzle together. After starting to read them and from what you read here, which is mostly segmented it gave me quite a few ah-ha moments and made it clearer. I have to get back on it though. My car has been down for almost 3 months on a blower and some other secret work. So it's time for me to pick back up where I left off because I was right at that point where it was really starting to get clear....then I had to stop.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the response.
    On a personal note I do have tuning experience with GM Gen 3 & 4 and I am now working on a Gen 5 tune. Mostly interested in the new Gen 5 material hoping to learn how to minimize or eliminate some of the guess work and trail and error situations. Not saying that I do not apply trail and error methods myself just want to get past some of the problematic areas of confusion.

Advanced Tuner
    I been thinking about the school to, I’m having problems with the idle on good size cam I have on my l83.
    It diles around 50 rpms less then what I’m commanding. On hard accelerations on low speed sometimes it shuts off.

The material as mentioned above will not make you an expert tuner. But it IS very helpful.. especially on the Torque Coefficients. It has good sections on Boltons, Head/Cam and Boosted setups. It has helped me gain a much better understanding on Tuning. and I had ZERO tuning knowledge on prior platforms before GenV.. so I am cutting my teeth on this platform

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppacapp View Post
    The material as mentioned above will not make you an expert tuner. But it IS very helpful.. especially on the Torque Coefficients. It has good sections on Boltons, Head/Cam and Boosted setups. It has helped me gain a much better understanding on Tuning. and I had ZERO tuning knowledge on prior platforms before GenV.. so I am cutting my teeth on this platform

Poppatop
    Did you purchase the new edition Gen 5 level 3 ? I understand the school made some improvements to the initial Gen 5 version.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Poppatop
    Did you purchase the new edition Gen 5 level 3 ? I understand the school made some improvements to the initial Gen 5 version.
    I purchased the new books. They should have the cjsnges to the material listed on their site over the old stuff. I believe the addition of the Virtual Torque section was one of them

"New books"????

How do you determine weather or not you have.....if I understand correct.....new/updated books?

Going to as if they, since we are subscribed for a year if they could post updates to what the find new and send them out.
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Diamond pistons
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7

"New books"????

How do you determine weather or not you have.....if I understand correct.....new/updated books?

Going to as if they, since we are subscribed for a year if they could post updates to what the find new and send them out.
    They will not update what you have
    I was one of the first people whom ordered the GEN V first edition and payed 1500$
    after that they released new books for GEN V and I asked if I will get them for free or to pay part of the price as I have the first edition without any answer

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by wesam View Post
    They will not update what you have
    I was one of the first people whom ordered the GEN V first edition and payed 1500$
    after that they released new books for GEN V and I asked if I will get them for free or to pay part of the price as I have the first edition without any answer

Dang that stings.

They updated mine for free, but because my orig. purchase was less than a year old. The virtual torque stuff has been added. I also have the 8speed tuning book and it was really helpful, I have zero issues with it.
    06 Z06 ETP heads, 244/256 hyd. roller, crower stainless shaft rockers, Kooks stepped race headers,elec. w/p, 160 stat, vararam, ram dual disk, ported intake and t-body, 100 shot spray until the 441 goes together http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm1hrBcq63U

2016 Callaway Z06 a8 3lz zo7
    Heads, cam, headers, 2.3L s/c, 9.5 lower/2.625upper, meth, 103mm t-body,
    Stock high and low fuel system for now (I know right?)