Thread: Programming 2012 for newer turbo

Programming 2012 for newer turbo

Does anyone know what parameters need to be changed when replacing the turbo on a 2012 with one from a 2015-2017 turbo. The shop where we'll be taking the truck has the swap parts in stock but said the reason it's not more common is the tuning. Supposedly the newer turbos don't have a wastegate and will through a code if unplugged. Could I just turn off the code or will there also be a derate? It's a cab and chassis and all the years are rated at 300hp, so could I also copy the turbo control maps from the newer trucks?

Edit: I did some more checking and it looks like they work without tuning. I imagine the wastegate controller stays plugged in but the hose will just be disconnected.
    Last edited by jr2185; 11-02-2018 at 10:50 AM. Reason: more research

since the 2015+ turbo is larger you will want to adjust the boost setpoint and the vgt maps. you would want to make them more agressive most likely to help it spool quicker.

Potential Tuner
    Sorry to bump an older thread but did you find a way to either disable the wastegate or at a minimum turn off the check engine light?

Potential Tuner
    Has anyone had an issue of towing a load 14K on cruise with 15 turbo upgrade 15 fuel pump dpf egr delete not downshifting on a hill on cruise control, speed will slow down and boost drops too until you apply pedal and get it to downshift manually. If your not on cruise and apply pedal it will downshift fine. Was thinking there might be a programming fix?