Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving Traction control MORE ability.

Advanced Tuner

Giving Traction control MORE ability.

Traction Control Stock:

Spark Only Torque Ratio= 0.700
    Spark Torque Ratio Limit= 0.500

I would want to change to something like:
    Spark Only Torque Ratio= 0
    Spark Torque Ratio Limit= 0.25

Right? . Fuel cuts are all 0....

Advanced Tuner
    That will increase your traction ccontrol. Result will be more spark reduction.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwhite5.0 View Post
    That will increase your traction ccontrol. Result will be more spark reduction.
    Thanks! That's what I'm looking for. I put a 4C in the car and obviously it blows the tires away at times. I have Nittos to put on it but still want to be able to use traction control better for all scenarios including wet situations.

Advanced Tuner
    What if you used more throttle control? What tire do you run out back?

Tuner in Training
    I just play with the throttle % untill it's almost pedalling its self.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwhite5.0 View Post
    What if you used more throttle control? What tire do you run out back?
    Quote Originally Posted by caged View Post
    I just play with the throttle % untill it's almost pedalling its self.
    Ohtsu FP7000s but going to Nitto 555 G2 summer tires. I live in the deep south off the gulf coast but I read 555 G2s don't do well in sub 60F. (it's almost that temp now)... so maybe I should just tune the all season tires and leave those on till after winter?

Would I use Max Throttle Angle vs. RPM to keep the throttle low for the initial hit?

You need to use Driver Demand to tune throttle response. Log smooth pedal roll ons and look for pedal position and absolute load to trend together (ignore ETC angle). In areas where load spikes relative to pedal input, soften driver demand, and vice versa. Make small corrections.

Nitto 555 G2's are pretty crappy. Their only plus is that they are pretty durable. If you want to spin the tires all over the place without having to replace too soon, they are okay for that. If you want good grip in an all around high performance street tire, get the Michelin Pilot Supersports, or the newer 4S.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CCS86 View Post
    You need to use Driver Demand to tune throttle response. Log smooth pedal roll ons and look for pedal position and absolute load to trend together (ignore ETC angle). In areas where load spikes relative to pedal input, soften driver demand, and vice versa. Make small corrections.

Nitto 555 G2's are pretty crappy. Their only plus is that they are pretty durable. If you want to spin the tires all over the place without having to replace too soon, they are okay for that. If you want good grip in an all around high performance street tire, get the Michelin Pilot Supersports, or the newer 4S.
    Found a log where I did kind of a slow roll on... There is a spike in absolute load where the vertical line is in relation to accel pedal.. I want to get rid of this spike, right. This is at take off.
    I logged trans throttle position but looks like the poll rate is too slow. Can I use this for driver demand row axis if I up the poll rate?

Full throttle trans throttle position goes to 602 and 99.5% pedal position. So 605 would technically be 100%.
    Lower the spike at 34% (210 throttle position? ) to smooth out that curve?

TuningDriverDemand.PNG
    Last edited by blackbolt22; 11-03-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Your sampling rate looks really low.

I would log fewer parameters at the fastest interval and do logs specifically for tuning DD. You want your pedal curve to look like a straight line from 0 to 100% (not too steep). You will also need to do this at different rpms and in different gears to get a complete picture.

You don't want any clutch action in there either. That would skew results.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CCS86 View Post
    Your sampling rate looks really low.

I would log fewer parameters at the fastest interval and do logs specifically for tuning DD. You want your pedal curve to look like a straight line from 0 to 100% (not too steep). You will also need to do this at different rpms and in different gears to get a complete picture.

You don't want any clutch action in there either. That would skew results.
    I was editing while you were posting. See updated post please. Can I use trans throttle angle at a higher polling rate for the pedal position? I'll do a channel config JUST for tuning this. Keep in mind this is an automatic with a 4C converter.. not sure how that changes things.

Senior Tuner
    I like transmission torque max per gear. Causes timing to be pulled. Can't remember exactly what the tables are called.

I like the way the traction control/advance trac works in my car with the FRPP SC strategy. It removes just enough power to allow it to hook great but not fall in its face or cut right out like my GT500

Senior Tuner
    Traction Control Desired Airmass in Airflow tab is where you really need to look. Things like torque model being somewhat accurate can impact how it works too.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    Traction Control Desired Airmass in Airflow tab is where you really need to look. Things like torque model being somewhat accurate can impact how it works too.
    I had this higher before the Converter but just lowered it from 30% back to 10% today. Would I keep lowering it to make it more effective/quicker response or do I need to raise it higher?

"Amount of desired air mass for use in traction control" . So a higher number ramps it down slower ? Seems like I need to ramp down faster lol
    Last edited by blackbolt22; 11-04-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt22 View Post
    Traction Control Stock:

Spark Only Torque Ratio= 0.700
    Spark Torque Ratio Limit= 0.500

I would want to change to something like:
    Spark Only Torque Ratio= 0
    Spark Torque Ratio Limit= 0.25

Right? . Fuel cuts are all 0....

I had this higher before the Converter but just lowered it from 30% back to 10% today. Would I keep lowering it to make it more effective/quicker response or do I need to raise it higher?

"Amount of desired air mass for use in traction control" . So a higher number ramps it down slower ? Seems like I need to ramp down faster lol

do we have to keep spark ratio stock ?
    airmass :higher number will keep the car slower to accelerate ?

Senior Tuner
    I still say you're better off dialing in the amount of power it seems to be able to take instead. Ford traction control never has seemed very fast to me. I like allowing a good bit of air even in traction control on them if I ever mess with it because I think they tend to bog the cars bad if you let too much be pulled too quickly

I still say you're better off dialing in the amount of power it seems to be able to take instead. Ford traction control never has seemed very fast to me. I like allowing a good bit of air even in traction control on them if I ever mess with it because I think they tend to bog the cars bad if you let too much be pulled too quickly

Whats your solution ?

Senior Tuner
    I use transmission torque limits. Causes timing pull torque management typically and can be per gear even on S197 with single table Driver Demand.

Sometimes I also just limit timing and ramp it in at higher RPM to soften launch if talking about a drag car where I just need to pull at launch

Advanced Tuner
    I use transmission torque limits. Causes timing pull torque management typically and can be per gear even on S197 with single table Driver Demand.

Sometimes I also just limit timing and ramp it in at higher RPM to soften launch if talking about a drag car where I just need to pull at launch
    So Trans Torque Truncation vs Shift Type? What's the 0 row for, neutral? Not sure if I like the global option to reduce traction since it sacrifices power to be had at higher rpms. I just want a softer launch like you were saying. Trying to get rid of the tire shock of my 4C / stabilize the power input to ramp it on instead of burst.

So Trans Torque Truncation vs Shift Type? What's the 0 row for, neutral? Not sure if I like the global option to reduce traction since it sacrifices power to be had at higher rpms. I just want a softer launch like you were saying. Trying to get rid of the tire shock of my 4C / stabilize the power input to ramp it on instead of burst.
    same here
    want to cure tire shock when i hit the throttle.