Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giving Traction control MORE ability.

Senior Tuner
    Not looking at tunes right now but don't think S197 have RPM and gear torque management unless maybe you got tricky with things by seeing where you are in driver demand at certain RPM then having torque taper off up top in DD.

S550 have tables that are trans torque limits mapped out by RPM and gear though.

Advanced Tuner
    [QUOTE=blackbolt22;548404]Ohtsu FP7000s but going to Nitto 555 G2 summer tires. I live in the deep south off the gulf coast but I read 555 G2s don't do well in sub 60F. (it's almost that temp now)... so maybe I should just tune the all season tires and leave those on till after winter?[QUOTE]

I also use the G2's for my street tire, I had the 555 G1's before and they had a little better traction. They do suck when cold, the rubber is pretty stiff.. After they get some miles on them, they grip better. Controlling your foot when you feel wheel spin is the key but your transmission would probably upshift if you keep it in drive and pedal it too much.

For the other thread about desired airmass, can't remember if you started it but I did go test that in the truck didn't like the results so tested it in the car this morning. 100% had very immediate, hard traction control. I keep mine at 0%, even at 0% there is still traction control. Maybe try 0% and see how feels.

Both are in the same frame, the first picture was traction control desired airmass at 100% and it completely shut me down, Just in that screen shot the traction control is of it.. The second picture was 0% it was very quick. The difference in ETC area and throttle angle desired.

airmass-1.JPG
    airmass-2.JPG

TC is not intended to be any assist in helping with traction and better start of the line - it's was invented to keep the rear wheels form spinning compared to front.
    You can't help yourself by adjusting the desired air mass for TC because it's not the right tool to do this - TC is always better left OFF.

Work on your Launch table.

Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    Any screenshot?

Advanced Tuner
    [QUOTE=Thatwhite5.0;548835][QUOTE=blackbolt22;548404]Ohtsu FP7000s but going to Nitto 555 G2 summer tires. I live in the deep south off the gulf coast but I read 555 G2s don't do well in sub 60F. (it's almost that temp now)... so maybe I should just tune the all season tires and leave those on till after winter?

I also use the G2's for my street tire, I had the 555 G1's before and they had a little better traction. They do suck when cold, the rubber is pretty stiff.. After they get some miles on them, they grip better. Controlling your foot when you feel wheel spin is the key but your transmission would probably upshift if you keep it in drive and pedal it too much.

For the other thread about desired airmass, can't remember if you started it but I did go test that in the truck didn't like the results so tested it in the car this morning. 100% had very immediate, hard traction control. I keep mine at 0%, even at 0% there is still traction control. Maybe try 0% and see how feels.

Both are in the same frame, the first picture was traction control desired airmass at 100% and it completely shut me down, Just in that screen shot the traction control is of it.. The second picture was 0% it was very quick. The difference in ETC area and throttle angle desired.

airmass-1.JPG
    airmass-2.JPG
    Thanks for this. I am going to test at 0% and 100% and also post the results to confirm your findings. In my test I will have it at 100% accelerator pedal even while traction control is on. Only problem is I have to wait because it's rained since the weekend every single day and yesterday it rained so hard it was flooding! 80% chance today, 80% chance tomorrow but saturday shows 0%.. Maybe I can finally get some testing done. You might think testing the rain is good but I don't take her in the rain anywhere

It's puzzling that in your logs it shows 82* throttle angle (on the left) but when my TC kicks in, throttle angle closes. Is it polling delay? There is a HUGE fall off on your 100% on yours which is a opposite of what these folks were saying here that 100% is OFF...

This is mine @ 10%.... Accel pedal = WOT without letting up. RPM there is 4600. AT 4600 I'm making around 400 ft. lbs so it's pulling around 60 with TC. Wheels continue to spin tremendously. Undriven MPH=8!

10TC.PNG
    Last edited by blackbolt22; 11-08-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    TC is not intended to be any assist in helping with traction and better start of the line - it's was invented to keep the rear wheels form spinning compared to front.
    You can't help yourself by adjusting the desired air mass for TC because it's not the right tool to do this - TC is always better left OFF.

What table are you referring to, DD? I've done a bit of smooth roll on tests/logs as suggested and tried part throttle launches as well. I believe I have the #s I need to create a nice ramp of power that won't overwhelm the tires at launch.

Advanced Tuner
    Did some testing tonight but didn't go far and tires were being super noisy so I couldn't stay in it. I would let out as soon as they started making noise. I will test in the day time this weekend when the rain stops.

I got mixed results but 100% does seem more "touchy" and ready to reduce throttle at any sign of trouble. Actual feel also seems like 100% has a softer launch but not much different to be honest.

Will report back this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt22 View Post
    Did some testing tonight but didn't go far and tires were being super noisy so I couldn't stay in it. I would let out as soon as they started making noise. I will test in the day time this weekend when the rain stops.

I got mixed results but 100% does seem more "touchy" and ready to reduce throttle at any sign of trouble. Actual feel also seems like 100% has a softer launch but not much different to be honest.

Will report back this weekend.

thanks for the feedback