Thread: Using a GM computer as basic methanol turbo controller

Potential Tuner

Cool Using a GM computer as basic methanol turbo controller

I am building a SBC old school with twin turbos to run on methanol for drag racing. Can I remove a wiring loom and computer from a doner PU that can be programmed to run without inputs for trans and other missing components. I will have wide band O2, mat, ct, tps, map, tach. Also larger injectors and high flow fuel pump. Can the stock computer self learn a fuel map? Will it work as a speed density program as well? What years of computer would be a good choice to adapt. I have never used HP Tuner before but have used many other software programs and worked doing computer system diagnostics for the last 20+ years. Please share your expert knowledge.

Yes the computer can work if you remove all transmission wires and things for EVAP etc etc.

No, the computer will not self learn. It will not create correct the airflow model on it's own to make sure fueling is on point. All that must be done by the user with a wideband. The user will create a wideband error against the commanded AFR to correct the VE table (for speed density). A early P01 computer from 01-02 normally offer the best operationg systems for 2 or 3 bar speed density setups.

I wouldn't try to run methanol fuel only on a stock computer though, lots better options out there. I'd suggest a holley dominator for this kind of stuff.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner

IFR limit

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Yes the computer can work if you remove all transmission wires and things for EVAP etc etc.

No, the computer will not self learn. It will not create correct the airflow model on it's own to make sure fueling is on point. All that must be done by the user with a wideband. The user will create a wideband error against the commanded AFR to correct the VE table (for speed density). A early P01 computer from 01-02 normally offer the best operationg systems for 2 or 3 bar speed density setups.

I wouldn't try to run methanol fuel only on a stock computer though, lots better options out there. I'd suggest a holley dominator for this kind of stuff.
    Thank you for the input. I saw a reference somewhere that mentioned IFR (injector flow rate) limits with different PCM's. Can this be edited for larger injectors?

Potential Tuner
    Does the doner PCM have to be from a V8 or can the PCM be edited to a 8 cyl set-up?

Computers like the P01 can handle injector up over 200lb/hr no problem. It's just making sure that your injector data is perfect is key.

Starting with a V8 computer is best and the fastest to get going.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    OK... thank you.