Thread: bad gas mileage after cat-delete Taurus 2013

Potential Tuner

Unhappy bad gas mileage after cat-delete Taurus 2013

hi HPTuners this is my first post

I have 2013 Taurus Limited 3.5L V6 naturally aspirated engine, I emptied may cats its legal in my country and tuned like below

Under Engine>General>O2 Sensors>Rear Config: Change to None.
    Under Engine>General>O2 Sensors>FAOSC: Choose disable.
    Under Engine>General>)O2 Sensors>02 Heaters>Heaters: Under Column Axis S2, change values from 1 to 0 in both Bank 1 and Bank 2.

cat temp control -》disable
    Flange temp control -》disable
    02 sens temp control -》disable

Engine diag:
    O2 mil, O2 test -》disable
    Catalyst mil, catalyst test -》disable

DTC:
    P420 -》No Error Reported
    P430 -》No Error Reported

after above changes my mileage decrease average 4 MPG I was thinking increase in mileage because old cats was semi-clogged

Today I checked with VCM scanner and my OL fuel status not ready and LTFT and STFT no data shown and there is no AFR what is the problem
    Last edited by Hasan; 11-06-2018 at 04:46 AM.

Potential Tuner
    btw CL O2 sensor temp : 350c unchanged
    and Long Term Fuel Trims : enabled unchanged

cl.jpg

Potential Tuner
    After revert below setting to Enable now Im in Closed Loop

Engine diag:
    O2 mil, O2 test -》disable

I have another question should I keep Temperature settings all disabled
    cat temp control -》disable
    Flange temp control -》disable
    02 sens temp control -》disable

or Only cat temp control should be disabled after cat-delete

Advanced Tuner
    yea keep them disabled
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
    http://www.efidynotuning.com/

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    yea keep them disabled
    isn't "Flange temp control" protecting my Headers ? or its only protecting my catalytic converter ? I don't want my aftermarket headers get broken I'm checking exhaust temperature it reaches 900-960c when WOT

and "02 sens temp control" Protecting downstream O2 sensors or Upstream , please can clarify these for me

Advanced Tuner
    when catalyst efficiency isnt maintained they can reach extremely high temperatures and in some cases can be observed visually by the cats glowing red and even in extreme cases reach thermal melt down. In these cases the exhaust temps can reach hot enough temps to cause header and o2 sensor damage. The leading cause of which is the catalytic converter. When the cats are no long retained the severity of such circumstances is deminished so much so that it is no longer of concern.

But in any case you asked looking for advice and I gave it. If you don't want to follow it why bother asking?

If you were looking for the why then you should have made your question more concise.
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
    http://www.efidynotuning.com/

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    The leading cause of which is the catalytic converter. When the cats are no long retained the severity of such circumstances is deminished so much so that it is no longer of concern.
    That's the answer I was searching for it. I read on eric books guide "how to tune your mustang" that we should disable them after cat-delete I wanted to know the reason , Thank you so much.

I put mustang V6 headers on my Taurus without catalytic converters

Potential Tuner
    decipha I have another question I read on your website "All vehicles that have stock wideband o2 sensors SHOULD ALWAYS keep the rear o2s even when doing a cat delete"

My Ford Taurus 2013 has factory wideband I have made following changes what do you think about them ?

O2 Sensors>Rear Config: None.
    O2 Sensors>FAOSC: disable.