Thread: Looking for a Power Supply/Jumpbox Solution

Question Looking for a Power Supply/Jumpbox Solution

The last few cars I've worked on have been extremely finicky about their supplied voltage during flashes. I'd like you to recommend me a power supply or a jump box that has worked for you to maintain full voltage while messing with these computers. I say jump box because it would be great if there was a portable solution that doesn't need to be plugged into the wall. Right now I'm predominantly working on GMs.

I liked using these at my last job for keeping power to the battery if I was working with the key on for a long time inside the vehicle. They are a bit bulky but no cords and no big battery charger cart to drag around.

Or you can pick up one of those slim design car battery jumper, they are getting really popular. This is just a generic picture of one but there are tons of brands out there that make them. You can find them at mostly any auto parts store now.

2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I liked using these at my last job for keeping power to the battery if I was working with the key on for a long time inside the vehicle. They are a bit bulky but no cords and no big battery charger cart to drag around.

Or you can pick up one of those slim design car battery jumper, they are getting really popular. This is just a generic picture of one but there are tons of brands out there that make them. You can find them at mostly any auto parts store now.
    When you were using the jumpbox, would it hold the voltage at say 12.7V+? They all say they're rated at 12V, but it seems like the computers like to be between 12.6-13.0V when they are flashed. I've also been looking at something like the OTC-700A, but at $500 it's a little pricy... and you have to plug it into the wall. I guess it's cheaper than a buying a new pcm and going through the trouble of reprogramming it.

OTC-700A_8909_0.jpg

I've had no issues flashing computers when the voltage is between 12.2-12.8. The majority of the stuff I've done is P01/P59 and the E67/E38 style computers.

I guess I've never tried to measure what the voltage at the battery was with the jump box hooked up. I just put the clamps on and starting doing my normal thing.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    If you can be plugged in, power max has a 150a maintainer that is adjustable between 12-15 volts. It?s clean power with no noise and very stable. I?m a shop foreman at a Mercedes dealer, and I bought 9 of these for our shop 3 years ago. They are used all day everyday as every vehicle must show at least 13.5 volts during programming, and we are constantly programming one of the 60 plus ecu?s in these cars. Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I've had no issues flashing computers when the voltage is between 12.2-12.8. The majority of the stuff I've done is P01/P59 and the E67/E38 style computers.

I guess I've never tried to measure what the voltage at the battery was with the jump box hooked up. I just put the clamps on and starting doing my normal thing.
    I appreciate that, and this is probably the route I'll go for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremyz View Post
    If you can be plugged in, power max has a 150a maintainer that is adjustable between 12-15 volts. It?s clean power with no noise and very stable. I?m a shop foreman at a Mercedes dealer, and I bought 9 of these for our shop 3 years ago. They are used all day everyday as every vehicle must show at least 13.5 volts during programming, and we are constantly programming one of the 60 plus ecu?s in these cars. Hope that helps
    The models you bought, were they the ones that are around $450-$500? Here's the one they currently have on their website that's rated at 120A:

PMBC-ADJ-With-Cables-1-e1535063839627.jpg