Thread: Potential newbie purchase with questions

Potential Tuner

Potential newbie purchase with questions

Hi everyone. I am researching the new MPVI 2 and I am having difficulties finding some answers. I have searched here, the hp website and youtube. I apologize in advance if I haven't been able to find the correct page. if someone could direct me to the correct page or answer my questions it would be greatly appreciated.
    I may be helping my nephew with his 2011 Dodge Ram with camshaft replacement. Thus I will need to disable MDS and my resulting need for a tuner.

On the HP TUNER website under RAM, it says 2 single vehicle dodge or universal credits. These are preloaded onto the tuner and are included with purchase price of the tuner? I believe I watched a youtube from the Tuning School where the guy said these tuners were not going to be shipped with credits??

IF I understand correctly, once connected to his truck I will need to licence the file downloaded from his ECM using up a couple of credits. Once these credits are used up, what exactly can I still use this programmer for with no remaining credits?

Can I still disable the MDS or is this going to require the purchase of another credit?

Can I still read engine malfunction codes and clear them or is this going to require the purchase of another credit.

What all can be preformed with this same ECM without purchasing credits?

thanks in advance, Jim

Not to answer for HP Tuners themselves but here is the quick and dirty.

When you buy the MPVI2, it comes with no credits. On the purchase screen you can add the 2 universal credits that the MPVI2 uses. When you get the product I believe you need to sync of the device so your credits will be ready to use.

If that vehicle requires 2 credits, you would read the file and save it. It should ask you to license that file using the 2 credits you bought. From there on out it costs nothing to make changes to that computer/file. You can make unlimited amounts of changes to that file without it ever costing you anything again.

I'm not up on my Dodge stuff but it should be able to disabled the MDS. You can read trouble codes and all that jazz too. Infact you can read and data log whatever vehicle you wish. Some non supported vehicles may have limited channels to view for data but you can use it as a scan tool for anything really without it costing you a dime.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    thanks for the info 5fdp. hopefully Bill will chime in for me.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    5FDP summed it up pretty well, the reason the MPVI2 is so inexpensive is because it doesn't come with any credits, you would need to purchase them in order to tune vehicles including your truck. The software will ask you to license the vehicle/file at flash.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the help guys. Been doing more reading and I think Im getting a grasp for initial use. I have downloaded the trial version of VCM suite.
    Is there a fee to download the full version? Does suite include editor and scanner and is there a charge for these as well ?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Its all the same, there is no difference between the trial & full version.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"