Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you own an Audi or VW dont buy a HP tuner

Angry If you own an Audi or VW dont buy a HP tuner

The Software is missing the PID'S you need to log a tune and theres no support Something as easy as changing a base tune from 6800rpm redline to 7350rpm is impossible.

Tuner in Training
    Is it? Upload your stock tune and modified tuned here. And stock to the repository.

Quote Originally Posted by EH_Tuned View Post
    Is it? Upload your stock tune and modified tuned here. And stock to the repository.
    astart1.hptastart1rainingice.hplstockinternettune.hptapr1.hpl

so yeah thats the stock internet tune and and one i messed with. log file form apr stage 1 and my log on a day its raining at -3c. i know the logs are crap. the apr i didnt log the right PID's. apr is show lots of knock . but maybe some one can tell me why i cant make the boost apr dose. most of what i have done is add 5% to the rpm's

Quote Originally Posted by albertaholdingsgroup View Post
    so yeah thats the stock internet tune and and one i messed with. log file form apr stage 1 and my log on a day its raining at -3c. i know the logs are crap. the apr i didnt log the right PID's. apr is show lots of knock . but maybe some one can tell me why i cant make the boost apr dose. most of what i have done is add 5% to the rpm's
    I can't open your file, but this isn't as simple as hooking up a piggyback and giving false boost readings to the computer. With direct injection you're running on the lean side anyway, so upping boost without adjusting fueling isn't a good idea. You need a way to read your actual AFR/Lambda with a WB, and also know what to adjust in the software to give you correct output.

If anyone can instruct me how to open this file I'd like to look at it. VCM editor wants me to hook my interface to the computer, then tries to access HP Tuner's servers. After that it says it lacks the definitions and fails to open.

The Software is missing the PID'S you need to log a tune and theres no support Something as easy as changing a base tune from 6800rpm redline to 7350rpm is impossible.
    The PIDs you see are the ones we have available through the CAN Gateway that are supported via Audi's diagnostics. If you used something like VAGCOM you'd see the same things available.

As well, it appears you've made changes to the redline in the ECU, but your vehicle is a DCT, and I'd guess the transmission itself will command an upshift before you'd get to your goal RPM.

You've made changes to your boost and PR limit, but you've made no changes to indicate to the ECU you are requesting more boost (such as changes to Driver Demand). You need to request more Torque, which thereby requests more Airflow, which the ECU tries to fill with a higher MAP.

Quote Originally Posted by evolmotorsprt View Post
    I can't open your file, but this isn't as simple as hooking up a piggyback and giving false boost readings to the computer. With direct injection you're running on the lean side anyway, so upping boost without adjusting fueling isn't a good idea. You need a way to read your actual AFR/Lambda with a WB, and also know what to adjust in the software to give you correct output.

If anyone can instruct me how to open this file I'd like to look at it. VCM editor wants me to hook my interface to the computer, then tries to access HP Tuner's servers. After that it says it lacks the definitions and fails to open.
    His file requires a later Beta and an MPVI2 to open. If you had both of those, it should open up for you.
    If its not broke, just give it time.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven@HPTuners View Post
    The PIDs you see are the ones we have available through the CAN Gateway that are supported via Audi's diagnostics. If you used something like VAGCOM you'd see the same things available.

As well, it appears you've made changes to the redline in the ECU, but your vehicle is a DCT, and I'd guess the transmission itself will command an upshift before you'd get to your goal RPM.

You've made changes to your boost and PR limit, but you've made no changes to indicate to the ECU you are requesting more boost (such as changes to Driver Demand). You need to request more Torque, which thereby requests more Airflow, which the ECU tries to fill with a higher MAP.

His file requires a later Beta and an MPVI2 to open. If you had both of those, it should open up for you.
    The PID's are available through VAGCOM and I send a screen shot of that too you guys and last night you added them into 4.1.690 beta. My DSG upshifts at 7200. stock is 6800 or something like that. think the ecu is set at 7360. Dirver Demand is set at 100% for anything near WOT but i guess ill try more than 100 then. also any torque limits iv tried maxing out

The PID's are available through VAGCOM and I send a screen shot of that too you guys and last night you added them into 4.1.690 beta. My DSG upshifts at 7200. stock is 6800 or something like that. think the ecu is set at 7360. Dirver Demand is set at 100% for anything near WOT but i guess ill try more than 100 then. also any torque limits iv tried maxing out
    startover1tq200.hptstartover1tq200.hpl Went and put Driver Demand at 200% and what do you know STUCK at 171kpa MAP still. would love to hear what im still doing wrong. do i need to map the ECU for you? you tell me
    Dont buy HPtuners for an Audi they dont work!

startover1tq200.hptstartover1tq200.hpl Went and put Driver Demand at 200% and what do you know STUCK at 171kpa MAP still. would love to hear what im still doing wrong. do i need to map the ECU for you? you tell me
    Dont buy HPtuners for an Audi they dont work!
    Try raising these, which your file shows untouched:
    zomyW2D.png

Also, I should add: Just because your vehicle has a DCT does not mean it uses the DCT variant at all. From your calibration, it looks to me like the Manual variant is used despite having a DCT, which is common enough for VW/Audi to do on their vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven@HPTuners View Post
    Try raising these, which your file shows untouched:
    zomyW2D.png

Also, I should add: Just because your vehicle has a DCT does not mean it uses the DCT variant at all. From your calibration, it looks to me like the Manual variant is used despite having a DCT, which is common enough for VW/Audi to do on their vehicles.
    So i did that. if anything it was a move backwards. now its asking for 150kpa MAPstartover1tq200.hptScreenshot (3).png

what do you normally use to create your own custom tunes for VW/Audi?

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    what do you normally use to create your own custom tunes for VW/Audi?
    There's just nothing else out there. If you want a good tune go for integrated engineering. Too bad hptuners isn't ready yet

Senior Tuner
    I have a friend's GTI running 230 load or so spike and then taper down towards redline. Not sure what boost was because it wouldn't log that PID but I was able to up limits and get the car doing what I wanted. Not sure if I'm leaving much on the table or not because I don't tune these cars but the difference from stock was big. Ended up limiting load down load so it has a bit more of a flat torque curve and got it making more boost with much less pedal so it drives a lot better. The DCT wants to downshift sooner that way too which is nice.

It's not as bad as made out to be HP support for these vehicles

This seems to have happened to me. There are too many values missing for boost limiting and control.

I tuned a customers vehicle while he was on Unitronic and he was boosting 230kpa with their tune. As soon as I tuned it with HP Tuners maximum boost was 150kpa tapering down to 120kpa. No matter what Torque tables I tried to play with it would still do nothing.

I had to buy a map pack on WinOLS to get it tuned right, so literally wasted $300 on the credits for HPT.

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mep_q8 View Post
    This seems to have happened to me. There are too many values missing for boost limiting and control.

I tuned a customers vehicle while he was on Unitronic and he was boosting 230kpa with their tune. As soon as I tuned it with HP Tuners maximum boost was 150kpa tapering down to 120kpa. No matter what Torque tables I tried to play with it would still do nothing.

I had to buy a map pack on WinOLS to get it tuned right, so literally wasted $300 on the credits for HPT.
    We apologize for the inconvenience. If you've been able to find a workaround, please do send us the parameters we need to add. We will be happy to add them for you.

Potential Tuner
    I tuned S7 and RS7 with great success using hptuners.no issues once everything is perfectly tuned , torque and load limiters need to be setup correctly it doesn?t work by just maxing stuff and commanding high torque targets.
    Last edited by xperformance; 11-21-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Senior Tuner
    So now I'm curious if I did get it right on the MK6 GTI or not... What kind of boost does it take to make 230 load in the mid range? Maybe if I upgrade my software I can log boost now. I will eventually hook up one of my gauges or MAP sensors to it and see what boost is if I can't log it

Quote Originally Posted by xperformance View Post
    I tuned S7 and RS7 with great success using hptuners.no issues once everything is perfectly tuned , torque and load limiters need to be setup correctly it doesn?t work by just maxing stuff and commanding high torque targets.
    The Audi Turbo vs Supercharged have different ECUs.

Simos8.5 vs MED17 (Which is used on the Mercedes/Mini/BMW/JLR, hence more parameters accessible to HP Tuners)

If HP Tuners couldn't find the needed parameters for the MED17s, then literally 70% of their new product launch would have failed.

I've tuned countless MED17 ECUs with HP Tuners and it's a win win situation.

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mep_q8 View Post
    The Audi Turbo vs Supercharged have different ECUs.

Simos8.5 vs MED17 (Which is used on the Mercedes/Mini/BMW/JLR, hence more parameters accessible to HP Tuners)

If HP Tuners couldn't find the needed parameters for the MED17s, then literally 70% of their new product launch would have failed.

I've tuned countless MED17 ECUs with HP Tuners and it's a win win situation.
    Thank you for your constructive help. I've got some changes for the SIMOS things coming adding a few of the tables that were present in 8.5 that were not in 8.4 which we initially based 8.5 on.

Potential Tuner
    I believe is very difficult if not unrealistic to pretend or expect any new vehicle application to be completely developed right from the get-go, considering this ECUs represent a challenge for anyone who works with them in a daily basis, regardless of how many you have done in the past, you cant take for granted the next one will be the same as any of the previous car you couldve done before.

Its not a secret VAG cars are not precisely the best example of a user/tuner friendly in comparison to most popular cars in the tuner industry, for the most part simple procedures that are considered to be essential, easily accessible, in cases taken for granted by Tuners and experienced users when programming other vehicles, for sure become a luxury, sometimes even impossible to perform on anything with a Bosch ECU, jumping from applications where everything is fully developed by companies like HPT, ready for you to input numbers you can understand and cool descriptions to know what each table does, for sure seems to be very deceiving for some people, this feeling of entitlement is the most challenging aspect when tuning Bosch ECUs.
    Very awakening as well to see first hand how really difficult is to deal with such intrincated logics used by Bosch, on top of hundreds of SW variations and scrambled code used by the same ECU on the very same cars, you think you have one figured out and all done, the next car you cant even get the boost up because now the logic changed to use a different torque table and to complete the painful reality check, next car you cant even read the stock file because now they removed the reading capabilities for this ecu, nothing but an ID number hopefully no one else before you touched or manipulated, now you need to obtain the matching SW to even attempt flashing the car, hoping you are able to find a matching file which is not guaranteed you can put your hands on it....
    At this point you have not even start with what you really think you know how to do, tuning the tables previously "handed" to you, the very fast 400 cars you tuned last year give you the same advantage as someone who has never touched a computer before has. The worst part has now began, you get ready to start tuning this one cool car that now, unfortunately you cant even pay someone to hand you the tables you need because even those big companies you used to rely on, take months if not years before they can come up with this tables once you believe were not a big deal to define.

Nothing but funny to see how we all at some point dared to complain about how incomplete a company's tuning solution is, not having the slight idea of what really takes to even offer support to only read or write software for this cars, the fact they can supply you with a value you can understand in every table they defined and integrated for you to use, is beyond mind blowing. I think I can forgive them for not having 20 tables they missed when I tuned the first Audi with HPT, considering there is over 50k tables inside this ECUs, even if they were to miss 1000 tables on the next car I do, I truly will be fine with it, for sure beyond impressive to have the resources, knowledge and man power to come up and develop software for any Bosch ECU, that otherwise will still be very exclusive to very advanced tuners/engineers and their mercy charging whatever they consider to be fair for this services.

Very easy to judge what is beyond our understanding, maybe is time to realize Car manufactures all are moving into this kind of techniques, very similar if not the same, Bosch today controls a huge part of the market and their products are implemented more and more every day by car companies, this only means tuning industry will become a more selective and tuner limited as the cars get more advanced, maybe the correct move here to make is actually put some time educating ourselves and maybe at some point understand better what really means and is required to move on from thinking I know, to really understand how this works, for sure will be helpful for those quick to complain having zero idea of what is going on and perhaps show how to respect and recognize we can sit down and type numbers in a laptop and pretend to know, all thanks to someone who dedicated real time into developing this interfaces/software solutions.