Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: :( No eco 2.2L (Ion non-RL) tune yet?

THX712517
    Yeah, I think it's safe to say that we've been forsaken. Sucks. I'm not sure if the GM flash for the supercharged 2.2 will work for you though, when I was talking to GM Performance about it they muttered something about it not working with the Ion computer. You could try, I'm sure, but I think it won't work with the Ion application.

Tuner

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by THX712517
    when I was talking to GM Performance about it they muttered something about it not working with the Ion computer. You could try, I'm sure, but I think it won't work with the Ion application.
    the build book shows that to get to 250hp you install their Eaton SC and get the computer upgrade from your dealer. states in big bold letters that if u don't get the ECU calibrated after installation your warranty is void. I would assume (bad, i know) by this, then, that the ECU is upgradable. Not to mention there are warnings all over about doing this and it locks HPT out... at this point not losing anything there!

If the build book is specific to 2.2L ecotecs, then everything should apply to the Ion as well. If GMPP is negating this - I have made a grievous mistake in the car i bought and mods I've applied.

I seriously would settle for SOME progress on the 2.2L ions from HPT. hell if they had to release one version that did 2.2L Ions from 05-07 with Vin's containing 'F' and another 03-05 with vin's 'G' or some shit like that, even if it doesn't support mine, I don't even care! Just so I can have some glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel!

Also - don't let this thread die. i want this subject to be on the main forums page every time i come here until we've got something.
    Last edited by bc3tech; 10-20-2006 at 08:28 AM.

Tuner
    Just found something by the guys at UMI Racing:

http://www.umiracing.com/gallery/Images/Catalog.pdf

They have a tuning system for the 2.2L Ecotec. From what I can tell it's a new ECU that they've customized to match the stock one, but be tunable. The price is high, but right now it's the only price on the market so can't be compared to anything else *ahem*

Looks like forged internals + UMI ECU come spring/early summer!

The UMI looks like full standalone - so no depending on GM ECM anymore! Definitely heavy-hitting system for serious guys.... However my point is that if HPT isn't going to give us something to work w/ the GM stuff, then I'll be willing to fork out the dough for the UMI system and post how-to's and tutorials all day long.
    Last edited by bc3tech; 10-20-2006 at 11:19 AM.

Tuner in Training

Thumbs up

DUDE nice find! that stuff looks sweet! i think that might be a full standalone?

Also if i could get hptuners for the 2.2L ION's i could sell HPTuners as a strong recommendation when selling the ATI ProCharger Kit for the 2.2L ions and cobalts! Business would skyrocket as atleast 20customers tuned down the kit because they could not tune and thats just customers i spoke to not even locally...uugghhh
    Last edited by krivera; 10-20-2006 at 11:27 AM.

THX712517
    So, let's see here. $1895 gets me the ability to tune my car? If it's a full standalone I might have to redo my entire instrument cluster....but I'd be able to tune the car. What the fuck, right? That's only two months worth of saving. If HPTuners hasn't come out with anything by February, this could work.
    Last edited by THX712517; 10-21-2006 at 11:00 PM.

Tuner
    exactly what i was thinking man... i just hope that by posting it here others that have been yearning for something to tune with will find happiness as well

THX712517
    I have started a petition of sorts in the Request forum. Here's the link.... http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8663

Please make a short post asking for tuning, and remember to keep it polite and respectful and as professional as possible. Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    guys, that GM flash for the ecu is NOT for the 03-04 Ions, so it wouldn't do any good.

just posted on taht petition thread THX, good call with that.
    Quickest stock piece of plastic this side of the Mason-Dixon

Tuner in Training

Question

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by bc3tech
    i don't know what to do right now. I'm going to be hitting the country roads for road-tuning tonight, but I have a feeling I'll only be tuning for 4+psi as 1-3 are essentially "shot" right now.

I'm seriously contemplating the GM flash for the 2.2L even though it locks out HPT... drastic times call for drastic measures and I haven't seen anybody from HPT post in response recently (since v14 was released) so am willing to assume they have given up.

I should also add that i posted in the v14 release thread that the 2.2L Ion was still not supported and the owners & mods totally ignored the post... another indicator.

Do they realize the influx of orders they'll have as soon as they get this done? you can't tell me there was all that demand for the '07 stuff they put in v14.... half those cars JUST hit the floor - and ppl are already tuning them to this point? c'mon now...

wow you all are horrible. It took a LONG time for hpt support to come out for the jbody folk. I wouldnt say hpt has "givin" up but they most likely have a higher priority than to make a special release on a bunch of odd ball stuff that maybe 10-20 people would buy in the first year? Just hold your horses as i'm sure they're working on it and this stuff doesnt happen overnight.
    2000 Chevy Cavalier (being completed)
    1987 Dodge D150 Turbocharged Slantsix EFI!

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin_Inc
    wow you all are horrible. It took a LONG time for hpt support to come out for the jbody folk. I wouldnt say hpt has "givin" up but they most likely have a higher priority than to make a special release on a bunch of odd ball stuff that maybe 10-20 people would buy in the first year? Just hold your horses as i'm sure they're working on it and this stuff doesnt happen overnight.
    k fuck 10 char
    The '07 Aura XR
    [In] XM ExpressEZ
    [Next] intake res delete, Tint, Eibachs

The Procharged Ion - SMP Stage 2 QC
    20/5 tint, SPS stb, CF dash, reflective bumper insert, 62mm TB, RL plugs, masked corners, progress rsb, RL fsb, 2.5" cat-back, triple pod w/ Boost, FPG, LC-1 & XD-16, filled front & rear mounts, pclear shorty shift, Procharged, Eibach Pros, 8k HIDs - 188.28whp / 175.03wtq, NO TUNE

Tuner
    nice plug

for equal rep, you don't have to have the kit to get the Unichip. i'll be adding one to my setup, as said earlier, if HPT decides not to support our ECM.

Tuner
    Required hopeful bump for attention.... New version releasing soon, maybe we're on it?
    doubtful.

2.2 support will not be in the next release. I don't want to be the bad guy here, and it sucks for me to say this as much as it is for you to hear it, but at the moment it's just not a priority for us, that's the just the way it is

The E16 is a freaky ECM that seems to be only used in these vehicles. There is still some hope, but the business case for the *HUGE* development effort required to support a new ECM must be backed by a solid prediction in sales, which at the moment the 2.2 doesn't have. "Build it and they will come" is something we just can't entertain right now...
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    2.2 support will not be in the next release. I don't want to be the bad guy here, and it sucks for me to say this as much as it is for you to hear it, but at the moment it's just not a priority for us, that's the just the way it is

The E16 is a freaky ECM that seems to be only used in these vehicles. There is still some hope, but the business case for the *HUGE* development effort required to support a new ECM must be backed by a solid prediction in sales, which at the moment the 2.2 doesn't have. "Build it and they will come" is something we just can't entertain right now...
    Interesting - it'd be entertaining to know how many units/licenses you've sold for 07 models, 07 ecotecs in particular, and compare that to how many people have already expressed interest in the e16.... how did you formulate the "solid prediction in sales" for the 07 stuff?

at any rate guys, stay tuned here, redlineforums, saturnfans, and ecotecforums for updates on a setup i'll be working on for us then.
    The '07 Aura XR
    [In] XM ExpressEZ
    [Next] intake res delete, Tint, Eibachs

The Procharged Ion - SMP Stage 2 QC
    20/5 tint, SPS stb, CF dash, reflective bumper insert, 62mm TB, RL plugs, masked corners, progress rsb, RL fsb, 2.5" cat-back, triple pod w/ Boost, FPG, LC-1 & XD-16, filled front & rear mounts, pclear shorty shift, Procharged, Eibach Pros, 8k HIDs - 188.28whp / 175.03wtq, NO TUNE

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners

hp tuners was WASTED on the 2.4's man. i bet u would sold more 2.2 credits. what do i know? im just a customer..... the 2.2's are so cheap. i want to make a project car, but i cant till i find a way our tuning the ecu. i dont want a damn fuel computer either. maybe one day u guys'll get bored and hack it.....

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    They've explained to me it would take at least 2 months of solid development for the E16 pcm. And since Chris does all the cal work it would delay every other pcm they are working on currently by 2 more months.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sheek360
    hp tuners was WASTED on the 2.4's man. i bet u would sold more 2.2 credits. what do i know? im just a customer..... the 2.2's are so cheap. i want to make a project car, but i cant till i find a way our tuning the ecu. i dont want a damn fuel computer either. maybe one day u guys'll get bored and hack it.....
    dont they have a stand alone system for the 2.2 ECO motors ?????

Tuner
    How much would you have to charge per unit and per credit to make the E16 as used in the '03-'04 Ion a worthwhile business proposition? How much backing is required for development?
    i believe it was even 03 - 06 man... WAY more cars.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by fullthrottle
    dont they have a stand alone system for the 2.2 ECO motors ?????
    they who?

specifically? no. unichip's a very very capable piggyback which looks like a damn good alternative. ntm a standalone'd be like $2k+ easy.
    Last edited by bc3tech; 12-13-2006 at 11:23 AM.