Thread: May have bricked my 2014 Jeep Wrangler TCM ( EGS53 )

Question May have bricked my 2014 Jeep Wrangler TCM ( EGS53 )

I broke it.

Went to write a TCM tune & didn't realize my laptop was running near 10% margin of battery.
    I started the TCM write, walked away to grab a tool and when I came back to the Jeep, the laptop was in standby. *crap*

Now I have rapid endless chimes with key on and dash displays HOTOIL.
    VCM Editor will no longer read the TCM, with a "failed" message, also x35 unlock message. Won't write either - says unlicensed vehicle.
    Using the handy HPT scanner, I pulled the DTCs and got this ominous message:
    "0x7E8: U0101 - Lost Communication with TCM (Permanent)"

Took it down our street, its in limp mode for sure, 2nd gear only and endless chimes.

Any help is most appreciated.
    Last edited by Floki; 11-02-2018 at 01:14 AM. Reason: new info, and shortened it.

Tuner in Training
    Try scanning with something like torque for errors, clear code several times. Usually after engine start it goes away

Quote Originally Posted by Floki View Post
    I broke it.

Went to write a TCM tune & didn't realize my laptop was running near 10% margin of battery.
    I started the TCM write, walked away to grab a tool and when I came back to the Jeep, the laptop was in standby. *crap*

Now I have rapid endless chimes with key on and dash displays HOTOIL.
    VCM Editor will no longer read the TCM, with a "failed" message, also x35 unlock message. Won't write either - says unlicensed vehicle.
    Using the handy HPT scanner, I pulled the DTCs and got this ominous message:
    "0x7E8: U0101 - Lost Communication with TCM (Permanent)"

Took it down our street, its in limp mode for sure, 2nd gear only and endless chimes.

Any help is most appreciated.
    Fixed it. Basically the primary issue was that I was using an older version of HP Editor, and it was reporting an unlicensed ECU/TCM but never giving me the option to license it. Something about my interaction starting with just the TCM and skipping the ECU I guess. HP Tuner support was great and advised over email to install the beta, try a fresh full read and then license the ECU. This worked. At that point, I was able to flash the TCM with my backup base load.

Thanks guys.