Thread: Auto To Manual and Ambient Temp Change Stumble.

Tuner in Training

Question Auto To Manual and Ambient Temp Change Stumble.

New To HPT Not New To Tuning. However the Differences from the Software I'm used to and HPT has me feeling Like a Noob.

I have been running Many searches for 3 days and no help so far. (I maybe using the wrong terms when searching)

Anyway I have LM7 from a 99 K1500 5.3L installed in a 1989 K2500.

the LM7 was 4L60 But now I Have it connected to a SM465 4-Speed Manual

the truck was built in the early part of summer during temps in the 80's truck ran great all summer.
    only problem was when setting up the ECM every time we set the Trans type from 4L60 to Manual the truck would Not run over 1650 RPM.
    we ended up just setting it to Non- Electronic Auto.

However the temp in the area has dropped into the 40's and 50's and the truck No longer seems to have the power it did.

it has also taken to chugging when driven in 3rd (4th really as my First is a L and is 6.55 Ratio).
    under 1500 RPM it shakes the truck Bad 1600 to just over 2000 it can be felt but but its just in the background like if you didn't know it was there you wouldn't really feel it. but at 3200 the truck smooths out and gains a lot of power. The feeling of the switch from under 3200 to over 3200 is felt again at about 4800 but is far more powerful then the switch at 3200.

here are the Specs from the Stock ECM

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, 5.3 L, 8 Cyl, GM_P01

99 K1500 OEM.jpg

This is What we Installed on the ECM

1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, 5.3 L, 8 Cyl, GM_P01

99 K1500 Curently installed.jpg

And this is from the 2000 Tahoe ECM I Have

Creation Date: 11/8/2018 1:03:17 AM

2000 Chevrolet Tahoe 1500, 5.3 L, 8 Cyl, GM_P01

2000 Tahoe.jpg

I have a .HPT file from a 2002 k2500 6.0L that is a Manual but if I understand what I have been reading the OS is what controls the way
    the ECM scales the fuel and Spark Tables.

If Im Missing something please let me know. also if one of the 3 HPT files would be a Better Starting point over the other please advise.

Advanced Tuner
    The only thing I have to offer is the question. Did you change to a different transmission in the settings or did you do a segment swap? You need to do a segment swap for transmission changes, the drop down menu has no value as anything other than a reference to the tuner.

Tuner in Training
    I am New To the VCM Software and it is laid out differently then i'm used to (ie Crome, Haltec, Hondata And Neptune)

I will Search Segment swap and see what I can find but only thing that comes to mind would be transfering the fuel and spark tables.

So at this time i'm going to have to say No!?

Tuner in Training
    Update: I have tried to do segment swapping and the function is greyed out in VCM I can't do it and don't Know why.

I found a video showing how to do the segment swap. but all info shows 4l60e to 4l80e
    it was stated in 3 videos that the OS needs to match on the two tune files however I haven't seen a 1999 tune file with a manual.

I have 2 ECM's one is from a 1999 K1500 (Motor Matching) one is from a 2000 Tahoe (Junk Yard find) both have different OS numbers

The Tune file I have with a Manual is from a 2002 K2500 and it has a different OS number from the two ECM's I have.

So should i get a tune file from a 2002 K1500 with a 5.3L that has a matching OS as the K2500 and segment swap then flash that to my ECM?

OR
    Should i use the Stock 1999 tune and just flash over the Segments from the 2002 even with the OS mismatch?
    Last edited by 95solster; 11-09-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    I don't believe you can swap segments with an OS mismatch. I would run the 2002 K1500 file that has been segment swapped to run the manual. You will need to make sure the new tune file (whatever you choose) uses the same type of throttle body, DBW vs DBC.

If it doesn't then that isn't impossible to fix, but it may not run worth a damn until you fix it.

The procedure for segment swapping is the same regardless of what segments you are using.

You should be warned that writing an entirely new tune can be frowned upon because it increases the chance of bricking the PCM. Especially if you do not know for sure it is a good tune, such as there is no guarantee that anything from the repository is valid. (Not saying it is likely to find a bad tune, but it is possible in theory)

Tuner in Training
    Ok so I found a repository tune for a 2000 K1500 5.3 auto and a 2000 6.0 manual the 2 files have different OS numbers But i was able to preform a segment swap of the transmission and the transmission diagnostic segments.

I then loaded the now 2000 5.3L Manual tune and the Modded 1999 5.3 tune from my PCM and set all the Engine diagnostics to match

I also removed the Vats and adjusted the PE to allow it to activate at 50% Throttle with rpm of 0 and a delay of 0 and EQ set to 1.2 across the board.

from what I understand the DBW was Not used in trucks till 2004 and newer.

and I have 2 PCM i can program so if I brick one it's not the end of the world
    Last edited by 95solster; 11-09-2018 at 05:24 PM.

I got lost in all the what you did with what file and so on, hopefully you didn't burn any un-needed credits.

Other stuff to check into is your data logs, those can point to trouble. Also make sure fuel pressure is correct at 58psi.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Not worried about the credits it's only money I'll make more.

the truck has a 340 LPH pump in it and fuel pressure is at 59 psi

Fuel Tank is 35 gal and i never run it lower then 3/4 tank
    Last edited by 95solster; 11-09-2018 at 06:10 PM.

Here's what I did. Set trans type to manual. PRNDL to not fitted. Borrowed a spark table from a manual trans tune in the repository they are smoother and scaled different from an auto. Also borrow the throttle cracker and follower tables from a manual tune these are different as well. Set abuse mode to greater than 8000 rpms. I have a pash thru vss wired to my ecm so it knows the truck is moving, you need this for most airflow tables in the tune. I changed the pulses on the vss, rear gear and tire size to match mine. I also disabled my burst knock retard because it would pull timing when engaging the clutch on take off from a stop.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 95solster View Post
    Ok so I found a repository tune for a 2000 K1500 5.3 auto and a 2000 6.0 manual the 2 files have different OS numbers But i was able to preform a segment swap of the transmission and the transmission diagnostic segments.

I then loaded the now 2000 5.3L Manual tune and the Modded 1999 5.3 tune from my PCM and set all the Engine diagnostics to match

I also removed the Vats and adjusted the PE to allow it to activate at 50% Throttle with rpm of 0 and a delay of 0 and EQ set to 1.2 across the board.

from what I understand the DBW was Not used in trucks till 2004 and newer.

and I have 2 PCM i can program so if I brick one it's not the end of the world
    My buddies 2001 Suburban with a 5.3 is drive by wire, yet my 2002 Silverado with a 4.8 is drive by cable. So you may still run into it.

Is it running any better

Tuner in Training
    How can you tell if the tune file is DBW?