Thread: VVE Tuning. Histogram looks good but the surface plot looks ugly

Tuner in Training

VVE Tuning. Histogram looks good but the surface plot looks ugly

Hi All,

Doing some VVE tuning and the data looks pretty in line, but the surface plot is pretty rough. I've attached a photo of the histogram, the the surface plot, the log and tune.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

What is your question? Yes, the VVE still needs a lot of work. When your logging the error, are you populating tables with atleast n=25, or are you logging cell hits <25? I recommend using cell hits atleast n=25, for better results go higher and then smoothing transitions to help with drivability. As the values get closer to zero multiply by %-half will aid in not overshooting. Remember the values will change from day to day as well.
    Last edited by RySmDPT14; 11-11-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by RySmDPT14 View Post
    What is your question? Yes, the VVE still needs a lot of work. When your logging the error, are you populating tables with atleast n=25, or are you logging cell hits <25? I recommend using cell hits atleast n=25, for better results go higher and then smoothing transitions to help with drivability. As the values get closer to zero multiply by %-half will aid in not overshooting. Remember the values will change from day to day as well.
    I'm logging n>10 but most of my cells are >25. I'm just curious if people have seen high spots like I'm seeing at 1800 rpm and 2600 rpm. I'm only focusing on the <4000rpm points and around WOT, so ignore the high rpm/low map cells.

Even if I smooth the table and remove the high spots, the next log data reintroduces those spots.

Quote Originally Posted by ssbowtie1 View Post
    I'm logging n>10 but most of my cells are >25. I'm just curious if people have seen high spots like I'm seeing at 1800 rpm and 2600 rpm. I'm only focusing on the <4000rpm points and around WOT, so ignore the high rpm/low map cells.

Even if I smooth the table and remove the high spots, the next log data reintroduces those spots.
    That often happens because the numbers around the target cells influence what you are trying to smooth out. I ran into this same issue and found that if I captured more data within target and around target cells it helped smooth the transitions. I found it helpful to multiply by %-1/2 and never hand smooth until I was within +-5% of target. Filter out deceleration if you have not already, that helps with minimizing outliars.

Tuner in Training
    Here's my latest scan. Check out the values and the counts. It looks like I have plenty of counts and the values don't look too bad. It seems to confirm the spike at 1800 rpm.

I do have a filter for deceleration and for transients during hard acceleration and entering/exiting PE.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ssbowtie1 View Post
    Here's my latest scan. Check out the values and the counts. It looks like I have plenty of counts and the values don't look too bad. It seems to confirm the spike at 1800 rpm.

I do have a filter for deceleration and for transients during hard acceleration and entering/exiting PE.
    You can see the progression of adding fuel starting at 12-1400 and going through to 2000 rpm, in the normal driving loads. You have a pretty good overall range, however, I would keep tuning those rpm areas. I bet you can feel the transitions lean/rich while driving. SD tuning takes a great deal of time that’s why 99% of tune shops will do a MAF tune and send you on your way. Just remember If it were easy it wouldn’t be any fun.
    Last edited by RySmDPT14; 11-16-2018 at 08:22 PM.

SD tuning takes a great deal of time that’s why 99% of tune shops will do a MAF tune and send you on your way. Just remember If it were easy it wouldn’t be any fun.
    True it takes a lot of time and also a more expressive dyno with load control. Lots of shops out there just claim to do tuning on inertia only mills. I was always meaning to ask you just how much tuning experience you have? If it is a good amount might you be looking for some part time work? I turn away a ton of vehicles that I just don't have time for

Western New York's Performance Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by JnJSpdShop View Post
    True it takes a lot of time and also a more expressive dyno with load control. Lots of shops out there just claim to do tuning on inertia only mills. I was always meaning to ask you just how much tuning experience you have? If it is a good amount might you be looking for some part time work? I turn away a ton of vehicles that I just don't have time for
    I am only familiar with GM platforms and even that is limited to a handful of ECM?s more so the E78. Or else I would be happy to help. Does your shop have a dyno, that can fit my truck (2012 3/4 ton 10? lift on 37?s)? I?m looking to get on one that is closer than Kennedy is Niagara Falls to finalize my SD For 15# with my new injectors with Walbro hellcat pump set up.

I am only familiar with GM platforms and even that is limited to a handful of ECM?s more so the E78. Or else I would be happy to help. Does your shop have a dyno, that can fit my truck (2012 3/4 ton 10? lift on 37?s)? I?m looking to get on one that is closer than Kennedy is Niagara Falls to finalize my SD For 15# with my new injectors with Walbro hellcat pump set up.
    Yes I have a Mustang chassis dyno and yes I have done a good number of 3/4 & 1 ton GM trucks both gas and diesel. Only thing is 37s will not really work on the dyno do oyu would need to borrow regular size wheels & tires. It just make tuning a whole lot easier and safer.

Western New York's Performance Headquarters