Thread: 2004 4.3 s10 wanting to run coil near plug LS1 style coils 0411 ECM

Potential Tuner

2004 4.3 s10 wanting to run coil near plug LS1 style coils 0411 ECM

I want to run LS1 coils on my 4.3 Vortec. I can get a 24x reluctor wheel, the cam signal is 1x. My question is will a LS1 OS run if 6 cylinders are selected and the firing order is corrected? Or will the spacing for the firing sequence still be 8 cylinders and just not fire the other 2 cylinders?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    i think you can do this but only if you run the 0411 OS that is specifically for the V6 engine. Like on 01 astro van....
    Someone else can verify hopefully.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    I have the 0411, and the OS for the Astro will be almost the same as mine as they both use the distributor. I saw that in the tune file, you can change the firing order and omit cylinders. I was hoping that the ecm will "space" out the remaining cylinders as opposed to just eliminating them entirely.

you have to omit the extra cylinders period. you cant just evenly space 6 of them then stack the last 2. by telling it 6 cylinders it knows the last 2 dont exist. now does it actually do that in the v8 OS, i dont know. That is why i recommended the v6 astro OS and mentioned for another member to verify.

there are a few ls ecus where you configure a feature correctly and it doesnt really do anything, but you change the OS and suddenly it works. i cant tell you for sure it will be fine but i can recommended the safest option which is what you got in my initial reply.

you can test it yourself by marking each cylinder tdc location on the crank and verifying a timing value of 0 commanded with a timing light on each cylinder. the other to look for would be cylinders 7 and 8 having activity on the ecu harness. thats how you test without loading a cylinder and risking damage.

Potential Tuner
    I just looked at the Astro OS compared to my sSeries. I would not have thought they were that different. It looks like you are right. I will have to use to Astro OS and change the crank reluctor and change the system to hi res

Its not a whole lot but i offered what i know from past swaps. Sorry its only half of the equation.

Potential Tuner
    no this is good info, so my thought is change the crank reluctor to a 24x, wire in the coils, and change the OS to the Astrovan and change the crank sensor settings to hi res. The cam sensor in the dizzy is 1x. Man if this works, alot of s10 owners will change over.

Tuner in Training
    I would be very interested in this as well, but I downloaded a 01 Astro Van tune file (1158641737) and don't see that it's any different from an S10 one (1504492280).

I've never seen more than the 3 toothed trigger that my S10 has installed on a 4.3l V6.

Potential Tuner
    Hey Bubba. The 4.3 does have a 3x reluctor wheel. The 2014? 4.3 has a 58x reluctor. They skipped the 24x. Now the tune files do have a setting for low res or high res reluctors. The Ls that uses the 24x reluctor has high res. I am hoping to use the 24x reluctor from EFI Connections for the LT1 motor and change the setting to high res and maybe it will change the ignition to individual coil arrangement.

Tuner in Training
    The 2014 4.3l doesn't use a 411 PCM.

Potential Tuner
    I know the '14 4.3 does not use a 0411. but it uses a 58x reluctor. I bring this up because the engine I have for my s10 is a GM heavy duty 4.3 for industrial/marine and it has a 58x reluctor wheel. So, I started checking on reluctors and I need a 24x reluctor to use with my 0411. EFI soluutions sells a 24x reluctor wheels that will fit my v6. So, the big question is, will my tune work with a 24x reluctor and change the setting to hi res to see if it will fire individual coils?

Tuner in Training
    I highly doubt it. Probably not worth the time/money to find out.

Potential Tuner
    Did anything ever come of this?

Potential Tuner
    Not yet. I has been put on the back burner for a little while. I still feel this will work. I just have to use the correct OS file. I feel the hi res setting will change the internal pinouts for individual coils. I think this because the 0411 ECM is so versatile and can run so many different engines and electrical configurations. It almost has to work. Just need to find out how......