Thread: Asking before I buy credits

Advanced Tuner

Asking before I buy credits

I just bought a 2006 Dodge Magnum.
    I'm not familiar with tuning vehicles with a pcm and tcm.
    How many credits does it take to tune the engine and transmission?
    I did a read and it read both automatically. So if I make changes on the engine and transmission and hit save and it prompts me to buy credits do I just buy two and I'll be able to tune the engine and trans?
    Attachment 84766

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    just 2 credits, no additional for this TCM.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks.

Advanced Tuner
    Apparently I can't tune the TCM.
    Seems theres no such thing as help when it comes to hptuners.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...883#post551883

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Can't tune the TCM. How long does it take for customer support to get back to someone?

Advanced Tuner
    No additional for this TCM because hptuners can't tune it. Screwed over again, thanks.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    No additional for this TCM because hptuners can't tune it. Screwed over again, thanks.
    x7f error typically would lead me to believe there is an internal issue with this 13 year old tcm since the tcm is located inside the ecm in these applications. Just an educated guess though. Not completely unheard of for a ecm/tcm to start failing after more than a decade...

Advanced Tuner
    x7f error typically would lead me to believe there is an internal issue with this 13 year old tcm since the tcm is located inside the ecm in these applications. Just an educated guess though. Not completely unheard of for a ecm/tcm to start failing after more than a decade...
    Really? The ECM is inside the cowl under the hood on the passenger side of the car and the TCM is on the drivers side under the dash. You seriously don't know this?
    And it drives fine and doesn't put out any DTCs. Isn't the normal failure mode IMO.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Really? The ECM is inside the cowl under the hood on the passenger side of the car and the TCM is on the drivers side under the dash. You seriously don't know this?
    And it drives fine and doesn't put out any DTCs. Isn't the normal failure mode IMO.
    Ahh my bad, I saw NGC3 and just assumed it was one of the NGC3's that have the tcm inside of the ecm case.

In your case I would say you have a tcm wiring issue then...not uncommon in a 13 year old car.

Advanced Tuner
    Ahh my bad, I saw NGC3 and just assumed it was one of the NGC3's that have the tcm inside of the ecm case.

In your case I would say you have a tcm wiring issue then...not uncommon in a 13 year old car.
    Can it be tuned out of the car?
    I've tuned a few GM 0411 p01 and p59's with a home made benchtop set up.
    Seems you just need 12 volts, ground and the data connection. It must be possible because people offer the service but no one that I can find has done a benchtop how to on this.

I just don't believe it's the car, it has no driveability problems and no transmission DTC's. I have written to the PCM with no problems.
    Last edited by Jason B; 12-16-2018 at 09:40 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I did change the TCM out last night with a used one and was able to write to it.
    Then I read both PCM and TCM and noticed it didn't really make any changes to the TCM. It did make one change to the PCM that I made.
    I then tried to write to it again and now it's showing the same error code.

What exactly does it mean to cycle the key (as promted) after a successful write? I have been turning it off, back on, closing the write window by clicking the Close button, then turning the key off a few seconds and restarting the car.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I did change the TCM out last night with a used one and was able to write to it.
    Then I read both PCM and TCM and noticed it didn't really make any changes to the TCM. It did make one change to the PCM that I made.
    I then tried to write to it again and now it's showing the same error code.

What exactly does it mean to cycle the key (as promted) after a successful write? I have been turning it off, back on, closing the write window by clicking the Close button, then turning the key off a few seconds and restarting the car.
    You might consider opening a ticket with support but if you are getting the same error with two different tcm's it pretty much solidifies my previous statement that you have a wiring issue.

Advanced Tuner
    I have a ticket open. 157243

I had the same error with windows 7 on a MacBook Pro, running windows parallels. Also same error on some GM vehicles. Bought a used Del laptop with windows 7 for tuning, no more errors.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    That moment when you realize you were wrong in attacking attacking staff
    over a issue that was caused by user negligence.

Advanced Tuner
    When it did act like it wrote to the tcm, the only thing that changed was the TCC settings.
    Weird.

Tuner in Training
    @Russ K already gave a possible solution it could be a connection issue with the specific pc and your device.
    I second that I had similar issues with my dodges I swapped from my surface pro to my other laptop and it flashed everything fine.
    The staff works extra hard to make sure the devices work on many different vehicles don't be surprised if they mix something up being the different makes and models.

***Edit I looked at your error code from your other post and yes I have seen that before when the device lost connection during Read/write
    Last edited by viprk24; 12-20-2018 at 11:09 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Still not working.

Advanced Tuner
    At this point I have had the car at the Dodge dealership to scan all modules for problems and proper programming, and proper function, all came back ok.
    I've tried two laptops and even took my desktop out to the car.
    Tried many different cables to connect the interface.
    Tried another known good battery.

Everything in the car functions properly, there are no trouble lights, all key on bulb check functions work.
    There are no aftermarket parts, this car is 100% stock and it's not all butchered up.

Yes it was a police vehicle, it was not a patrol car. I removed all of the police equipment that was still in it, which was basically wiring for tail light strobe lights that were already gone when I got it. The PTIM (police, taxi interface module) I removed when I first got the car.

I don't understand why I can read the PCM and TCM, but only write to the PCM. Furthermore I don't understand how it read a different TCM and showed a successful write to this TCM yet only changed the TCC settings and nothing else that I had changed in the programming.
    And then it went back to no longer being able to read that TCM.

There is a non existent help file for Dodge vehicles.