Thread: Tuning help for bigger cam

Potential Tuner

Exclamation Tuning help for bigger cam

New here, and new to tuning all together. Just got done dropping a 5.3 into my Jeep Comanche and need some tuning/adjustment advice. I added a Stage 2 high lift cam from Texas Speed & Performance. I also have an LS1 intake installed on the engine for clearance reasons. Texas Speed had no issue selling me the cam kit but they wont help at all with tuning unless I hand over my ECM and let them tune it, then I wont be able to tune it later on for any other mods or adjustments. Thanks for the help.

Cam specs:
    Intake Exhaust
    Duration .050 212 218
    Lobe Lift .353 .353
    Valve Lift @ 1.7 .600 .600

Lobe Separation 112
    Intake Center Line 110

Start simple.

Read up the best you can on tuning the airflow model to correct the fueling using a wideband o2 sensor. You will have to re-calibrate the MAF curve and the VE table to get fueling in order. Then things like idle airflow tuning, timing adjustments and full throttle tuning can be done.

Being a swap vehicle, make sure you have ZERO vacuum leaks and exhaust leaks pre-o2 sensors and make sure you have proper fuel pressure of 58psi.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Start with the idle tune get to atleast stay alive, increasing base idle to 800-900 helps. Make sure you do the proper sequence for disabling MAF or VE (depending on what you tune). It will help starting with a complete stock file as well and then making changes to the parameters. Having a wideband helps as well but narrow bands will work as lon as you don’t go WOT

Tuner in Training
    what PCM are you using for the swap? i just added the texas stage 2 low lift to my 5.3 truck all else being stock aside from a cold air intake and it's running fine on the factory tune, i had to bump the idle up a tad the fueling is not off by much. i have no complaints with texas speed. i wouldn't expect them to help with tuning.

Potential Tuner
    Im using a Blue/Red PCM that came with my engine. I wouldnt expect them to just hand over a tune either, but when I asked some questions just in general about adding/taking fuel out of it or timing they were pretty rude about it and wouldnt offer any insight at all. at the end of the phone call they basically told me unless I had an issue with the cam i bought specifically that I shouldn't be calling them back. I get that is somewhat protected info for them but they could have been more friendly about it. And my cam is the high lift so I would imagine it has a more drastic effect on things than the low lift.

Tuner
    There are lots of good videos on youtube about doing tuning your VE table. That's where I started. I have a Stage 2 cam in a 6 liter. Although it seemed to run fine, the computer is very good at fixing a bad tune, there's no way the stock tune is right now. It's easy to do, you just have to invest the time. Disable your MAF (which is like 6 steps you can find here, at ls1tech, and at youtube), disable power enrichment, and tune your VE and adjust your timing. As part of that, you can fine tune your idle. that's where I am, seems to be a black art, there are so many different parts of the program involved in idle.
    Peter Young

1966 LandCruiser FJ40 with 6.0l Gen 3 vortec and 4L80E.
    1984 LandCruiser FJ60 with 5.3l Gen 3 vortec, Magnusen supercharger, and 4L60E