Thread: Difference between car and truck?

Tuner in Training

Difference between car and truck?

I have a 416 And 4L80e on 0411 box that was originally tuned for a Camaro. What would be the difference if swapped to 01 truck?

The way it loads the engine because of the weight. You can likely put it in there but watching data logs to see where changes are required is a really good idea.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I?m about ready to throw in the towel. Trying to get a tune on a factory box isn?t worth the cost at this point. I can buy Holley with trans control and be ahead with room to grow.

It's worth the cost if you want to spend the time to learn.

Holley is kinda idiot proof because you can setup all these fail safes and let the computer tune it for you. Tuning stock computers is an art and it's why people pay lots of money for shops to do them.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I don?t believe in spending money just to say I have something. I work too hard to pay someone three times for something I could have paid for once and not deal with the BS

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe50 View Post
    I don?t believe in spending money just to say I have something. I work too hard to pay someone three times for something I could have paid for once and not deal with the BS

Apparently you do believe in spending money foolishly.

The amount you paid for your HPT interface would have covered the cost of having a reputable tunershop setup you up with a fully functional custom tune.

Now you are going to spend even more money, to purchase a second (and redundant) aftermarket controller kit.

Had you taken the vehicle to a tunershop in the first place, you would be enjoying it by now.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    if you dont want to take the time to learn the art then get a holley dominator, holley injectors, holley knock sensors, boost controll, whatever you need and get the transmission and engine harness to go with the dominator ecu.
    if you do all of that then all you do is set the injector part numbers and fuel pressure value, enable knock sensor detection, and set basic boost or nitrous control (whatever you need). Select your transmission for the trans option list and go to town.
    newest dominator should auto tune both fuel and ignition if you have widebands and knock sensors installed. takes the art right out of tuning. go into transmission when your done and finetune to the drive behavior you desire. recheck your tune and then forget it.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    You reply with a smart ass statement when you don?t even know the facts. I never purchased a HP tuner interface. I did actually take it to a tuner when it was originally set up for a car. The car never happened. I was told by the tuner that the car and truck were totally different tunes and that it wouldn?t even run in the truck. The cost would be another $450 as it was not an update. So there?s $900 if I chose that route. And what if it?s not a good time? Another $250 for an update? There is $1150. And any time I want to change is another $250 or $450. The ability to tune it myself is what I prefer. I just wanted to know if HP tuners or a stand alone would be the better choice. Understand?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe50 View Post
    You reply with a smart ass statement when you don?t even know the facts. I never purchased a HP tuner interface. I did actually take it to a tuner when it was originally set up for a car. The car never happened. I was told by the tuner that the car and truck were totally different tunes and that it wouldn?t even run in the truck. The cost would be another $450 as it was not an update. So there?s $900 if I chose that route. And what if it?s not a good time? Another $250 for an update? There is $1150. And any time I want to change is another $250 or $450. The ability to tune it myself is what I prefer. I just wanted to know if HP tuners or a stand alone would be the better choice. Understand?
    I understand - but quite obviously both you and your “tuner” do not.

In the 2002 model year your 0411 PCM used the same OS for the Camaro, Corvette, and Trucks - making tuning straight forward, if you began with this OS in the PCM. This OS is easily configured for any engine and any transmission. As long as the appropriate injector data is used, then the method of tuning the VE and MAF tables does not change across platforms.

The quoted figure of $450 for a fully custom tune is a reasonable price (if the tuner is experienced), and is about the same price as purchasing HPT. As long as you don’t make any changes to the “hard parts” after the fact, the custom tune will operate the vehicle correctly forever.

If you make significant changes to the drivetrain in future, then it would need to be tuned again. Kind of like changing the floor plan of a house after it has been built - you will pay again for these remodelling changes.

Just because you purchase a tape measure, a hammer, a square, and a tool belt, does not make you a carpenter - it takes years of training and experience. Purchasing tuning software does not make you a tuner - it likewise takes years of experience to become a tuner.

I always find it humourous when some people spend $100K plus on a custom vehicle project, only to complain about the potential cost of a good custom tune (less than 1% of their overall budget). People who have built numerous projects know the value of a quality custom tune, and always utilize this service.

Tuner
    So, why are you here? This is a forum for people who own and are using HPTuners. What are you hoping to get out of this forum, other than a place to vent.
    Peter Young

1966 LandCruiser FJ40 with 6.0l Gen 3 vortec and 4L80E.
    1984 LandCruiser FJ60 with 5.3l Gen 3 vortec, Magnusen supercharger, and 4L60E