Thread: Dreaded 5.3 AFM disaster, Looking for some advice on a cam.

Potential Tuner

Cool Dreaded 5.3 AFM disaster, Looking for some advice on a cam.

Howdy

2007 retired Police Tahoe with 83,000 miles.

Driving back to Dallas from Houston and out of nowhere got the flashing CHck engine light and had a noticeable miss. Slowed down and tried to keep the rpms as low as possible. Drove like this for about 15 miles.

Plugged the scanner in got P0304 cylinder 4 misfire.
    Exhaust has what looked like steam coming out and either oil or fuel coming out of the tail pipe, was dripping onto the wet pavement leaving rainbow of colors.

After decided to not drive it, got it towed back to Dallas.

If I am so lucky as to only have a failed lifter and no dropped valve or cylinder damage I'm going to do the AFM delete but would like to have a little more of a hotrod cam for doing digouts.

Was reading that the LS9 cam has way too much exhaust lope separation.

Anyone know of a cam that would make some good mid power?

2007 Retired police Tahoe.
    83,000 miles
    5.3lt
    Motor is the AFM Active Fuel Management by GM which is a huge downfall for GM. I know GM is kicking themselves for allowing these motors to be put into production.

If you have a 2007 GM vehicle with a V8 engine with AFM you will sooner or later know all about AFM. AKA the gas version of a Jake Brake or very very close to being a Jake Brake.
    Even sounds like a mild Jake when working correctly.

Too bad this cannot be done with the 12 valve or 24 valve,

Senior Tuner
    Go with the BTR Stage 2 Truck Cam, or something comparable. Don't be tempted to go much larger duration...you'd be disappointed with a larger cam, unless you go with a higher stall torque converter.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCqm4ptyC7U