Thread: Gm e38 into c5

Potential Tuner

Gm e38 into c5

Gm e38 into c5

So I am generally curious as to if this is possible. Usually, everything is possible, but how much is actually involved will sway the deciding factor if you do it or not.

But, an E38 into a C5... First issue that pops up is that the E38 works with CAN BUS, where as the C5 does not. Reaction is going to be that it will not communicate with the BCM, won't have a working fuel gage, won't have a tach, temp, oil pressure..etc..
    Then you think, well there are CAN BUS standalones that have been integrated to use the factory gauges and they work.. (Haltech, AEM, etc) How do they make it work?

Could there be a way to piggy back the E38 off of the factory computer? I genuinely believe this could be possible with the use of some sort of CAN translator/communicator.

Would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Senior Tuner
    Out of curiosity, what year C5? What are the future mod plans?

Potential Tuner
    2002 Z06 to be specific. Car is HCI currently, will be a nitrous car.

The swap crossed my mind because I am wanting to do the P59 swap to obtain flex fuel in the car, but with all of the conflicting information regarding the swap itself my mind wanders..

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Big standalone agencies know the gm can protocol and just assign their data to the correct protocol location and the other can devices pick it up like it was a stock computer. Of course there are adjustments within the standalone to make sure things like gauges sweep in the proper direction and rate.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    The P59 swap in the C5 does work very well for flex fuel, did it to my 2001 C5. Took some trial and error, but if you use 04 Tahoe with OS 12587603 and a 2004 Corvette with the same OS you can segment swap and compare the files. You would need to move one wire for the alt, different pinout from the red connector to the green connector and set the o2 heater DTC's to 3 unless you want to rewire them. Had to do the VATS relearn the hard way cycling the key on and off. Of course you would need to plumb and wire in the flexfuel sensor. I do not know if yours being a manual (mine was an auto) will be an issue for you finding a compatible OS for a segment swap or how would be the best to work around that. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in on that part. In the end for me all gauges worked properly and flex fuel works correctly. The only issue that I could not resolve with HPT was the VIN swap, had to use different software for that part.