Thread: Early rev limit any way to make it more like older gen?

Early rev limit any way to make it more like older gen?

So on my 2017 zl1 I had some weird issues at the track with it closing the throttle like it was getting too close to the rev limiter. I had set the hard limit to 6800 and car to shift at 6500 and my first two passes were ok it shifted about 6425 and no issues. I added a little timing to it made my next run the temp dropped 5 degrees and had a way better 60 foot car was flying and at 85 mph which happened to be 6520 on the 3-4 shift I believe it closed the throttle to 50 percent like I was up on the rev limit rather then closing from a tune issue like on the torque limit. I do have my tables very realistic so I guess it?s possiile I got too close but felt more like that predictive like crap these have on them. Like stock it was set to shift at 6200 limit was 6500 and if it got to 6250 the throttle started to close down some then as got closer it closed more.
    I saw on the limit tables it has one for the higher the rpm and closer to limit the more it would activate throttle closing pull timing what ever. My question is what?s the best way to set it up???? Is there a way that if I have a 6800 limit it won?t do anything until it?s up on it? This is when you miss the old GM stutter limit. I could bang my old 94 z28 off the revlimit make the shift and not lose much. These things it hits it your done. On my logs it held it at 48 percent for 2.6 seconds from 85-100 mph it was like coasting. The most upsetting part was I was walking a demon at the track had him by over 2 cars up till that happened. Let him all the way back to my door before gave me wot back and made the rest of the shifts just fine at 6470 range. Ended up his 10.80 my 10.69 even with my stupid throttle issues. I was down 10 mph in the 1/8 and had my best 60 foot of the day so a little frustrated so like to try to make it not be so sensitive with out just setting it way out of the way. I did zero that one table and didn?t really do much for it as hoped. I plan on just lowering the shift point back down to 6400 but like to make the limiter a little more accurate if possible.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Advanced Tuner
    Post tune Or this thread is worthless

I’ll post up a Stock tune when get a chance I’m not posting up my 9 second bolt on car tune so these shops that can’t tune worth a shit can copy it. Any gen 5 has the same limit tables on the e92 and been about the same all the way back to e38. I’ll even post the quarter mile logs when it did it. But question is just about changing up the limiter so it’s not predictive and will hit closer to actual setting.
    Last edited by lt1z350; 11-14-2018 at 04:49 AM.

2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Advanced Tuner
    What is your selection for Fuel>Cutoff,DFCO>Control Method>Use Predicted Torque?

Yes it was as was stock that way. I did have it off at one point and checked and turned it back on when possibly reverted to an older tune when went off e85 and tuned for race gas. I must have not changed it back on the newer tune. Is that most likely causing it? Also the accel table. Then has the filter table below it sorry laptop not in front of me at moment. I have seen that zeroed I have tried it and didn’t seem to change much. When I don’t notice a change I just go back to stock over playing with values on certain things. It would be nice if sat 6800 is my target rpm then it doesn’t hit till that rpm. The closing the throttle even then is not as pleasant at the old msd style limit. I assume this is safer and holds the true limit by pulling torque and why they did it.
    I didn’t have these issues before but it also hasn’t ever run so strong and revs so quickly I guess since had already passed my shift point the car got angry and closed throttle to keep from over rev I assume. What’s weird since tuning my virtual torque tables it had been shifting a litttle early and why I brought the shift points up in the first place. Now running better it’s back to shifting closer to commanded which seems to be too close to rev limit.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by lt1z350 View Post
    Yes it was as was stock that way. I did have it off at one point and checked and turned it back on when possibly reverted to an older tune when went off e85 and tuned for race gas. I must have not changed it back on the newer tune. Is that most likely causing it? Also the accel table. Then has the filter table below it sorry laptop not in front of me at moment. I have seen that zeroed I have tried it and didn’t seem to change much. When I don’t notice a change I just go back to stock over playing with values on certain things. It would be nice if sat 6800 is my target rpm then it doesn’t hit till that rpm. The closing the throttle even then is not as pleasant at the old msd style limit. I assume this is safer and holds the true limit by pulling torque and why they did it.
    I didn’t have these issues before but it also hasn’t ever run so strong and revs so quickly I guess since had already passed my shift point the car got angry and closed throttle to keep from over rev I assume. What’s weird since tuning my virtual torque tables it had been shifting a litttle early and why I brought the shift points up in the first place. Now running better it’s back to shifting closer to commanded which seems to be too close to rev limit.
    Having that enabled can definitely be a cause for throttle closure just before the shift, but I can't promise you that's your issue. I've never noticed any changes zeroing out the accel threshhold table either, but I think I'm going to play with the other limit tables to get a better understanding of how they work, but it would make sense to me that you could command a higher than expected torque value all the way up to the columns just before your rev limiter and it wouldn't do this if it works that way. I was just wondering about that one setting because I've definitely had it cause this exactly issue on a camaro. Changed only that in the tune and it quit. Worth a shot setting it to disable if it isn't already anyway.

Use a spark cut or any aggressive rev limiter.
    The stock RPM limiter uses throttle to limit which causes your issue.
    Send your stock tune I will set up the aggressive limiter for you, which will probably solve your issue.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedabri97 View Post
    Use a spark cut or any aggressive rev limiter.
    The stock RPM limiter uses throttle to limit which causes your issue.
    Send your stock tune I will set up the aggressive limiter for you, which will probably solve your issue.
    can you set a hard limiter for me? can?t figure it out.

Do it like this. For example 7000 limit all tables must match. Then resume 6950 with hysteresis at 50. That should make it hit lock old stuff. I know mine now is very aggressive and not soft touch like that. Key is the hysteresis? needs to be close so it does not start early and come in slow.

Tuner in Training
    Do it like this. For example 7000 limit all tables must match. Then resume 6950 with hysteresis at 50. That should make it hit lock old stuff. I know mine now is very aggressive and not soft touch like that. Key is the hysteresis? needs to be close so it does not start early and come in slow.
    hello bro can you check my thread i have question about rpm can you help me

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...211#post732211

Potential Tuner
    are you using spark cut when you do this? or fuel? spark and fuel?